Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mixing Trance

Hybrid View

Mixing Trance

So I've been watching videos and reading guides (and I still haven't even bought anything lol) and I have a quick question. I've looked over a few set lists of Armin and noticed that sometimes he doesn't play the full song of one track and will mix in another track half way through the first. Is there some sort of hard and fast rule to mixing trance or can you really just do whatever sounds good? If anyone has some examples, that would also help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like all music, you just mix what sounds good.

Hard and fast rules are a quick way to not become original in your mixing.

Some rules you can sit down and reflect on are harmonic mixing, phrase matching and thematic matching (songs about love, or about sex, about drugs, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    Did someone mention hookers?
    Quote Originally Posted by RDRCK View Post
    am not brony.

Mixing Trance

That sounds good to me man. I was watching ella something on Youtube on mixing trance and he was saying how trance songs are typically mixed one after another and the whole track is played before the other track is mixed in and I thought I'd ask on how valid that was.

No hard and fast rules....obviously one needs to follow the usual mixing conventions ie. phrasing.

Armin was my first dj I ever heard and he is a master at getting the best out of a track and combining it with the rest of the mix.

DJ Forum Trance Champion 2013/2014
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
    No hard and fast rules....obviously one needs to follow the usual mixing conventions ie. phrasing.

Armin was my first dj I ever heard and he is a master at getting the best out of a track and combining it with the rest of the mix.

I absolutely love Armin. The artists he uses in his mixes are really great and when I start I'm really considering using some of the same tracks and artists.

Is it always so that you'll play a few tracks that build into a climax and then do it all over? I've noticed that while listening to a few mixes.

Yeah kind of, during a set or mix, your'e gradually building energy. Let it hit a peak so everyone gets their euphoric fix. Then take if back a bit and start building it up again.

A common mistake is to start a set at full throttle and there's nowhere for it to go except as to keep it the same or backwards.

Listeners consciously or subconsciously appreciate/need the waves of energy during a mix.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
    Yeah kind of, during a set or mix, your'e gradually building energy. Let it hit a peak so everyone gets their euphoric fix. Then take if back a bit and start building it up again.

A common mistake is to start a set at full throttle and there's nowhere for it to go except as to keep it the same or backwards.

Listeners consciously or subconsciously appreciate/need the waves of energy during a mix.

Perfect! Thanks! What's the lowest bpm trance is at? Is it 130?

Ok, trance is more a state of mind than a style of music and bpm.

Trance reaches into other genres like progressive house, tech house, techno. It's more about the mix giving you the "Trance" effect.

So bpms could be starting as low as 80bpm with a chill out track intro....

Remember no real rules like you asked originally.

Retired

Fair enough. I just wanted to ask because when I go on beatport and I search trance music I want to know what range of BPMs I should be expecting. But you're right. No rules