Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in DJing - Need Somewhere to Start

Yeah I would have. I'm on my phone at the moment. Thanks though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are these DJ pools that I'm looking up? I saw BPMSupreme and I can't figure out what it's for. Is it any different than downloading from beatport? Do they carry a wider selection?

a DJ pool is a place for professional DJs to get new music on a subscription basis. it can work out economical as DJs tend to need a lot more music than your average person. you should be a professional DJ to use this service. most pools require proof

Quote Originally Posted by diceallion View Post
    Oh wait.... I dunno about the sound card.
    any controller that has audio inputs or outputs has a "sound card"

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    a DJ pool is a place for professional DJs to get new music on a subscription basis. it can work out economical as DJs tend to need a lot more music than your average person. you should be a professional DJ to use this service. most pools require proof
    Ah so I couldn't just be a hobbyist. I'd most likely have to use Beatport then, right? Beatport seemed so expensive for the music though. $25 for 10 trance songs. That's insane.

insane? hehe... kids these days

when i started DJing i only had 7 records after one year of playing as a hobbyist, i had to win a dj competition to buy my decks and only really started buying records after i landed a residency. for the first few weeks of the residency i was using borrowed records. but that was the deal you had to work to earn the music

i still buy them, i just baught a record last week for 40 euro...

im sounding old now LOL... but my point is, you dont need bucket loads of music at this stage in the game.
    you can HEAR anything you want nowdays for free, but it will do you good to choose carefully the music which you buy for djing, learn to appreciate what you have and get the most out of it instead of filling your hard drive, which ironically can be a hinderence in some ways to your creativity, and i cant understate that.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 04-05-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Interested in DJing - Need Somewhere to Start

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    it will do you good to choose carefully the music which you buy for djing, learn to appreciate what you have and get the most out of it instead of filling your hard drive, which ironically can be a hinderence in some ways to your creativity, and i cant understate that.
    I can't argue this at all.... It is 100% true.... I've got about 950 tracks stashed in my hard drive, and I'm spending more time trying to figure out what to use rather then practicing. I'm dumping songs daily in a folder called "why". I would rather spend more time focusing on a few dozen tracks until I'm completely comfortable with them, then add a new track 1 or 2 at a time.

I think this approach is more practical for new starters, unless you know your entire collection by heart. Even then, being overwhelmed with choices can hinder your practicing.
    Play music, have fun, be proud of the moment, let the beat flow through your fingertips, your passion and dedication is the language for your own success. [/B]

I totally agree. I was just saying it's expensive lol. I can afford it here and there and know I don't need a huge library as a hobbyist so it's fine to spend some here and there. Just saying it's expensive lol

We'll look on the bright side, avg. Track is 1.49, where as now your not obliged to buy a whole album at $15 to $20 when you only like 1 or 2 songs, and I have no idea how expensive vinyls are, but you can't say it's expensive compared to what it used to be before the digital age.
    Play music, have fun, be proud of the moment, let the beat flow through your fingertips, your passion and dedication is the language for your own success. [/B]

I only have iTunes to compare it to where songs range from $.99 to $1.49 (or more I think sometimes). I honestly haven't bought music in years. I stream with spotify lol. So maybe I'm totally wrong and this isn't expensive anymore