Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you reference a mix for me?

lol marc.

Pete, that is totally personal preference, I do not master mixes. The tracks themselves are already mastered and those guys know a hell of a lot more about mastering than me or you, it is up to the DJ to properly mix and EQ the tracks, the overcompressed loundness thing is not something I am in to, as you correctly stated, tracks these days already have plenty of compression, I am not going to add to that even though I do have some knowledge on the mastering process, that is best left for production work imo.

I have several prety complex books about the production and mastering processes, and I will be studying sound engineering soon, this has provided me with a bit of knowledge around the process and of certain theories, course we can go into why people think this sounds better if you don't already know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletche...3Munson_curves
    Last edited by Adzm00; 04-04-2014 at 04:15 AM.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

So I just informed the promoter, he has been a DJ of about a year and it's his night he started up so he could get gigs, I said that you lot have confirmed it is fine, and so have many other people, his response was "well maybe I just have high standards".

So there you go guys, your experience means fuck all to a guy who has been doing it a year, he blatantly knows better than you all and me. TBH, that has annoyed me a bit, it seems a bit arrogant.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Yeah exactly my point.
    In an ideal world everybody would be listening to perfectly mastered soundscapes on million pound hifis, but the reality is that the kids these days have been brought up on a diet of mehlectro on ibuds.

If someone plays a "normal" mix and then plays a mix compressed to f@ck, instantly their ears are dragged to the louder one.

When playing out live, you have to set levels against the tracks and the room acoustics, to get as loud as possible, when necessary, without sounding arse.
    When I finalize a mix for publishing, I master it so it sounds as loud and punchy over crappy ibuds without sounding arse.
    If properly done it can work out as a happy medium and sound good on decent hifi as well.

At the end of the day, the best judge is your ears. Try out the technology and see if it works for you.
    And try stuffing a sausage down the ears of your promoter, he will probably moan like a whore.