Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Connecting 2 passive speakers and a powered sub into my 2 channel mixer

Quote Originally Posted by djscrizzle View Post

To close this out, get ahold of a decent quality power amp for your tops, and a active crossover to split sub and mains before the amplification. I'd have no beef with throwing the 2 tops on a QSC GX3 power amplifier and calling it done. A QSC GX3 can be had for ~300 and a used crossover for under a hundo.
    If he bought a GX3, he wouldn't need to buy a crossover because it has one built in fixed at 100 Hz IIRC. But of course, that is only if he's ready to upgrade. It doesn't sound like that is the case.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Quote Originally Posted by djscrizzle View Post
    I hope this helps ya out, mate...

Here's how I used to do things back when I had a micro rig. I used a 2/3/4 way crossover to split LF and HF to two channels of one power amp. Then, I wired up my 2 subs to one side, and 2 tops to the other, running both channels at 4 ohms.

Nowadays, I run my DJs/Live talent thru a little bit of processing. A Behringer Autocom MDX1400, and a Behringer CMX3400 crossover, output to two bridged Peavey CS800s for subwoofer duty, and a Behringer powered mixer for my tops, until I can get my mitts on another 150-watt power amp for the tops. Another upgrade path could be a DBX Driverack-PX, or Driverack-PA, since they have compression, eq, limiter, crossover built in.

To close this out, get ahold of a decent quality power amp for your tops, and a active crossover to split sub and mains before the amplification. I'd have no beef with throwing the 2 tops on a QSC GX3 power amplifier and calling it done. A QSC GX3 can be had for ~300 and a used crossover for under a hundo.

Thank you so much for the input. This actually helped a lot. I am going to buy a GX3, which happens to be in stock at my local DJ store. Turns out it has a built in crossover. This just saved my weekend, thanks again buddy.

The GX3 crossover is NOT useful in this situation, since it puts highs to one channel and lows to the other.

You already have the answer, which is to use the crossover that's built-in the Mackie sub. run two XLR cables from your mixer to the two inputs of the sub, and two more cables from the "High-Pass" out of the sub to the inputs on your amp (GX3, or whatever stereo amp you get.. a GX5 might be a better investment for the future). Leave the crossover switch on the amp turned off, it's not useful for you right now.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    The GX3 crossover is NOT useful in this situation, since it puts highs to one channel and lows to the other.

You already have the answer, which is to use the crossover that's built-in the Mackie sub. run two XLR cables from your mixer to the two inputs of the sub, and two more cables from the "High-Pass" out of the sub to the inputs on your amp (GX3, or whatever stereo amp you get.. a GX5 might be a better investment for the future). Leave the crossover switch on the amp turned off, it's not useful for you right now.
    Light o matic is correct. I forgot you need 2 channels with the same filtering applied. I actually think they should have made the GX series with a 3 position filter... off, hpf, and lpf, and applied the same filter to both channels. It is pretty unusual for someone to need the same output for both, tops and subs in the same rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ampnation View Post
    Light o matic is correct. I forgot you need 2 channels with the same filtering applied. I actually think they should have made the GX series with a 3 position filter... off, hpf, and lpf, and applied the same filter to both channels. It is pretty unusual for someone to need the same output for both, tops and subs in the same rig.

Thanks for the input. Everything is all set for my show tomorrow. Was able to get a decent crossover and sub. Appreciate the info guys.

Let us know how it works out.

Good luck!

If your sub is a powered sub, it almost definitely already has a crossover in it, that you can't bypass. So if that's the case, don't run the signal going to the sub through any other crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Wow.. A little touchy are we? Just asking a question not trying to be condescending. If you're just starting out I can understand not having a sub, it costs real money to get a decent one and it takes time to put away that cash. You'll soon see what it adds to the sound, I have some of those Mackies and they couldn't be easier to use, just go main out from your mixer to the L and R inputs, and then high pass out back to your amp to power the 215s.
    Not all music needs a sub, not all events need a sub, and some top speakers will work without a sub for a wide variety of events.

a night of EDM certainly needs subs.
    A DJ that specializes in 50's music at car shows has no need for a sub.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Troy View Post
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by allensmusic View Post
    Not all music needs a sub, not all events need a sub, and some top speakers will work without a sub for a wide variety of events.

a night of EDM certainly needs subs.
    A DJ that specializes in 50's music at car shows has no need for a sub.
    It may not always be needed but it's always better!

So, let us know what you ended up doing and how it went!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forum Fiend v1.1.7.