Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to start with production? (newbie)

Where to start with production? (newbie)

Hey guys and dolls!

Been DJ'ng for a while now and want to have a go at production. I have a sound card, mac book pro, ableton live 8, headphones and studio monitors. Do I need anything else?

How did you guys get started? what sites did u find useful? whats the first thing I need to learn?

any tips/advice is greatly appreciated

K

Open ableton and have a fart around. Then read the manual.
    “When art critics get together they talk about Form and Structure and Meaning. When artists get together they talk about where you can buy cheap turpentine.” - Pablo Picasso

I dare not read a manual, especially this one ha

Check out youtube video tutorials for whatever you want to do so, bit by bit I suppose. Getting a bit of basic music theory and a midi keyboard will do no harm. Even if you only learn a few chord progressions you can transpose them to change up your sound to stop it being formulaic. And be prepared to put the work in, with patience. If you get pissed off, move on and start something new.
    “When art critics get together they talk about Form and Structure and Meaning. When artists get together they talk about where you can buy cheap turpentine.” - Pablo Picasso

learn to use the interface properly and know how your effects work and how to apply them, read alot.. try alot of new things, realize that your first 15-20+ projects won't be that great but always learn from them.

Give your ears a break from time to time, keep it simple until you' understand the elements and fundamentals of what you are doing.

most importantly, have fun.

i had a faq for this on the old forums. i will be working on a new faq to point the layman in the correct direction. should be done in a week or so.

read up on synth programming.

here's a freebie:
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr9...les/20tips.htm

the other thing you can do is make a cover one of your favorite songs. this way, you will force yourself to learn how to make certain sounds and loops.

live 8 is a powerful program once you get used to workflow. i've been using the series since live lite 4, when i got my first midi keyboard.
    Last edited by Jason Cerna; 02-05-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    jasoncerna.com | boogieburg | twitter @jasoncerna | instagram @jasoncerna

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cerna View Post
    i had a faq for this on the old forums. i will be working on a new faq to point the layman in the correct direction. should be done in a week or so.
    That faq was awesome. I owe a lot of what I know and my progress to it, along with other DJF posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cerna View Post
    the other thing you can do is make a cover one of your favorite songs. this way, you will force yourself to learn how to make certain sounds and loops.
    Probably the best way to learn. Helped me tons. If you're learning to play piano, you don't play your own music at first; you play other people's compositions. Kind of the same idea

As far as equipment, you got everything you need for now:-) Then find one, I repeat, ONE, synth you like (could be Sylenth1 or whatever anyone else suggests) and learn how to program it. Learn to use what you already have first, then branch out when you find you need something else to give you a certain sound. If you check out my soundcloud in my sig, everything one there has only been made with a computer, ableton 8, and headphones. (Also sylenth1, arturia minimoog, and some kontakt instruments)

thanks lads, appreciate it.

what is the most/best synth out there on the market?

what do u guys make of Sonic Academy? worth investing?

Quote Originally Posted by kickassDJ25 View Post
    what is the most/best synth out there on the market?
    Hardware synth or plug-in?

Regardless, there is no "best." It all comes down to preference. And it depends on what you can spend.

slyneth is a plug-in yeah?

sorry but I'm a total newbie.