Thread: Mini Review: Spin Clean record cleaning system

Mini Review: Spin Clean record cleaning system

Greetings all!

I rarely see the issue of cleaning records brought up, so I figured I'd share my recent experience.

Backstory:
    I never cleaned my wax. Besides a fiber brush for dust, and zippo fluid for the really hit records I've never needed too. This all changed when the sump pump went out downstairs and flooded the basement with 4 inches of water. It sucked folks. I spent a sold 3 days cleaning, renting fans and an industrial De-humidifier. Ripping carpet up and trying to get rid of all the moisture. Now my collection, about 500 records had water right up to the label. All of the sleeves developed mold. Mold is the enemy. It's no joke. (check your pumps, and have a water powered backup!)

I researched, and the spin clean system plus an extra mold-cleaning solution seemed the way to go.

I ended up with the deluxe clear unit with extra cleaner, brushes and rags. Few bucks more than the standard setup, but I'm the buy once cry once kinda person. Everything was ordered from amazon (Prime yo! gotta have it) It arrived in it's own little box. The brushes, fluid and rollers will store in the unit itself. Neat. I hate losing shit.

I'm about 50 records deep, and it's fantastic. Took me an hour to clean all those. Records look like new after a quick air drying. It's almost depressing how clean they are, I now see every scratch and nick (I buy a lot used.) Mold seems to be coming off easy, even off some labels. The best part is looking at the bottom on the bowl and seeing everything that once resided in the grooves. It's nasty, and some of these records were not in the flood!

I highly recommend it, especially for the price. My apologies for the poor writing. I usually let the music do the talking. I'd include pictures and links to buy and all that, but I'm lazy. Just know that it works, and the base model is under 100USD.

Thanks for the review monomer

I was literally looking onto these last week and wondered how well they performed and if they were worth the investment. I assume they clean up old, dusty records as well? I have a few that could use a good scrub.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    Thanks for the review monomer

I was literally looking onto these last week and wondered how well they performed and if they were worth the investment. I assume they clean up old, dusty records as well? I have a few that could use a good scrub.
    Records look like new.

It's odd seeing them so clean, I almost don't want to handle them AT ALL as you can see fingerprints (oils from your hand) so easily!

Get the cheaper setup if you want to see if it'll work for you, but you'll spring for more fluid/brushes soon, as you'll be cleaning often!