Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up mains, powering Electro-voice ELX215's

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    A pair of ELX215's and nothing else?? Not the best idea for a DJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown DJ View Post
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NU6000DSP/

but I would go with different speakers.

Care to elaborate? they are 100 pounds each shipping back is a nocando. I've always heard positive things about EV:S

-edit I mentioned in the above post subs

Quote Originally Posted by maelstrom99 View Post
    Care to elaborate? they are 100 pounds each shipping back is a nocando. I've always heard positive things about EV:S...I mentioned in the above post subs
    Using fifteen loaded tops with subs means carrying twice the load for no good reason. Twelve loaded tops would work better, be a lot smaller, and are cheaper to boot.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

IMO EV makes good speakers.. better than Mackie and Behringer for sure. But nothing is bulletproof and any time you have 1000+ watts behind an entry level speaker there is potential to let the magic smoke out so you gotta treat amp headroom as what it is.. a buffer that you never dip into meaning you should never.. ever see a clipping light. If you can exercise that kind of restraint then you'll be fine, but if you're not experienced enough to know where the limits are make sure you get an amplifier with built-in DSP limiters and set them so the speakers are unlikely to see more than 600w program, that would be -3db if the amp can generate 1200w/ch for example.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    Using fifteen loaded tops with subs means carrying twice the load for no good reason. Twelve loaded tops would work better, be a lot smaller, and are cheaper to boot.
    perhaps, but I need a lot of speaker to match these servodrive subs things are HUUUGE. Why not run 15's and have a strong mid bass, especially if the music has lots of sub tones. That way you can set the crossover lower with 15's and no sacrifice to power. I might me misunderstanding something. I've heard the 12's sounded maybe more precise in some cases with smaller subs.

Also I got a pair elx215's for 560 shipped. Good condition (from the pictures.... at least) through a reputable online dealer, seemed like the right price. Though, down the road I am debating getting a few 12 loaded tops that I could run with just one sub, for a more portable unit (although a 250 pound subwoofer... portable isn't in the description)

I want to see how this goes first, get 1 amp that I can run both speakers with 1/ per channel, has dsp limiters and crossover. looking for suggestions. Will I need to get a mixer to route subs and mains properly? I have a focusrite saffire pro 40 interface, looking to run music or able to PA for talks or bands etc. I understand this interface isn't as ideal as, say, RME fireface 800 for latency, but would it work? Eventually, I will rack things, but I am building the system primarily for a hobby and later we will see.

Yea lots of questions, lots of information, lots of djs. thanks for the help and for sticking with me
    Last edited by maelstrom99; 03-10-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    IMO EV makes good speakers.. better than Mackie and Behringer for sure. But nothing is bulletproof and any time you have 1000+ watts behind an entry level speaker there is potential to let the magic smoke out so you gotta treat amp headroom as what it is.. a buffer that you never dip into meaning you should never.. ever see a clipping light. If you can exercise that kind of restraint then you'll be fine, but if you're not experienced enough to know where the limits are make sure you get an amplifier with built-in DSP limiters and set them so the speakers are unlikely to see more than 600w program, that would be -3db if the amp can generate 1200w/ch for example.
    Well, that's a relief. I guess. I understand the concept of headroom and have experience at these things, but never on this scale. You are saying these cabs don't produce bass, and Bill Fitz claims that pairing them with subs is not correct. So who would buy these? People who don't use bass?
    Last edited by maelstrom99; 03-10-2014 at 07:22 PM.

You are saying these cabs don't produce bass,
    No.. I'm saying they won't produce the kind of thump a proper 18" sub will produce. You can get big fullrange sound from dual 15 boxes but it requires boxes about twice the size and weight of these things.

and Bill Fitz claims that pairing them with subs is not correct.
    Well.. it depends on the scale of events you're doing. I still see lots of dual 15 over dual 18 sub setups.. it's hard to beat the combo when LOUD is most important. It's not without it's drawbacks however and in many cases you get better sound, smoother room coverage, and an easier setup with smaller mains on stands and clustered subs.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    No.. I'm saying they won't produce the kind of thump a proper 18" sub will produce. You can get big fullrange sound from dual 15 boxes but it requires boxes about twice the size and weight of these things.

Well.. it depends on the scale of events you're doing. I still see lots of dual 15 over dual 18 sub setups.. it's hard to beat the combo when LOUD is most important. It's not without it's drawbacks however and in many cases you get better sound, smoother room coverage, and an easier setup with smaller mains on stands and clustered subs.
    Yup I can picture that very clearly. Good thing I have a couple of these ... things I want to get up and running. If they work. http://web.archive.org/web/199902190...ages/bt7.shtml

Looks like I might pull the proverbial trigger on this behringer inuke3000 (I know, the B word) they seem to have taken a step up in reliability, has more DSP options that the comparable (but more expensive) crown xls 2500. If i set the limiters I shouldn't overdrive them, even though the inuke claims to produce 3000 watts per channel at 4 ohms !

The inuke Should get me going in the meantime, 319 shipped new seems suspiciously good, and it only weighs 7 lbs

the inuke claims to produce 3000 watts per channel at 4 ohms !
    You're misreading something.. the amp is spec'd at 880w/ch at 4ohms, it's rated 3000w bridged mono into 4ohms but you can't use that.

For those of us that have been around a while the first time you pick up one of these new class D amps(Crown Drivecore, Peavey IPR, Behringer iNuke) it's hard to believe they can produce any serious amount of power, these things weigh about as much as a home theater DVD player and if you pop the lid there's isn't much inside of it, but hook it up and you get lots of sound so they're not a joke. Some of these amps have been bench tested already and they fall a bit short of advertised spec and don't do well at all with sustained test tones at low frequencies, but for popular music you won't be disappointed. The Crown Drivecore does sound noticably better than the Berry, the Crowns are now very popular with the home audio crowd looking for more power than your average HTR.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

sorry, that was what the specs for the inuke 6000, not the 3000. Good to know about the drive core series, what do you think of the drive core 2500 vs a qsc gx7 sound quality and sustained bass for 15 inch loaded mains?

what do you think of the drive core 2500 vs a qsc gx7
    The GX7 has more power than you can safely use here and no user configurable limiters so I can't recommend it over the Crown. BTW. the difference between 900w and 1200w is 1.2dB or not enough to notice.
    Last edited by conanski; 03-10-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com