Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Understanding Genre of Music

Understanding Genre of Music

How do you understand different genre of music like what is house/ progressive house / Trance / Techno... Any basic difference in each genre of music

We used to have a thread explaining genre differences but i guess it got lost in the big crash of 2011 eh.

There are specific musical elements that distinguish some genres (like BPM, beat structure, a specific use of drums...), mostly however id recommend listening to a lot of tracks from each genre and over time you will instinctively learn to differentiate them.

Keep in mind genre lines are constantly being blurred and sometimes its not an exact science.

You can start sifting through this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...c_music_genres
    Or this website: http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
    Oh whats that you say? You wanna out check my soundcloud?

like meow said: there are certain elements that are distinctive for a genre. for example certain synths, a certain sounding kickdrum, a certain kind of melodical structure, BPM etc. but since there are many subgenres these days it is hard to define clearly what defines a genre. many borrow musical elements from other genres. just take lets say tech trance: it is a trance subgenre that borrows elements from techno. its in the 135-140BPM ballpark (as most trance is these days) but lacks the melodics of trance. instead it used techno-ish soundpatterns with less focus on being melodic rather creating an insteresting and distinct sound.

my point is: most of it blends these days. so many genres are currently merging that the definition "genre" becomes quite useless. its more of a "who-used-that-sound-first" kind of thing like the wobble that make it from brostep into electro house and now makes it's way from there to trance.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarnYourKeep
    name one dj that can replicate richie's drums in a minimal techno way, this coming from a plastikman background...then again i figure trance heads would respond this way they always seek the BUILD UP AND DROP THE BASS BRO

...I still don't get where Fidget House fits....

....or what it is exactly

Check out Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music (This is just a guide)
    http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
    I Have Come Here To Kick Ass And Chew Bubblegum, And I Am All Out Of Bubblegum!

theres some that are easy to teel apart, breaks, d&b, dubstep....but then you have subgenres and hybrids...i still try to keep it simple and not try to get too crazy with it

Quote Originally Posted by DougMore View Post
    ...I still don't get where Fidget House fits....

....or what it is exactly
    Isn't it basically the bastard child that was born when garage raped electro house?
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Hi Guys,

Is there any site where i can download free songs of 320 kbps of any type of Genre...

^^^^ uh oh... a fresh can of worms
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

buying a songs from beatport... require to rob swiss bank...