Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The original Disco DJ turntable!

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    The SL-1100A came out way before DJ's figured out how to beatmix, so the pitch control was invented for the average record listener. Keep in mind that back then, turntables didn't have a strobe light, and a lot of them didn't play exactly at 33 RPM. So if you where used to hearing your music on a slower or faster spinning older turntable, and all the sudden you when out and bought a new SL-1100, your record would sound a little different since the 1100 has a strobe. So with the variable pitch, you could adjusted it to make it play at the speed you where used to hearing it at.
    So, it wasn't that the records were mis-mastered or mis-cut, it's just that people were used to turntables that didn't hold pitch (or weren't calibrated correctly). I see thanks.
    Find it. Keep it. Work it. Share it.
    Less Talking. More Dancing.
    Yeah, I were Burger Daddy in V 1.0

The SL-1100 was one of the first decks I heartfelt desired since I got hooked on dj'ing. However as with many things I desired, either the price was out of my reach, or it was impossible to find. Which is why when I saw an email ad from a local used record shop that had one come in I had to jump on it! Even though it was missing the plastic cover (which is damn near impossible to find to replace) I bit the bullet and picked it up. Thankfully the previous owner took very good care of it so I had nothing to fix or reset, which is always a good thing, even though these things are damn near bulletproof. Even came with a pretty decent AT 4414S cart! Color me a happy man!
    c--Technics-100a-p.jpg

There is a guy on Ebay that sells plastic covers for the 1100's, or at least he used to sell them. I haven't checked in a while. The one he sells are clear. The original ones where smoke colored. There is also a youtube video that shows you how to make covers. You basically cut the pieces, then glue them together. Nice find on that 1100. Is it an 1100, or an 1100A.