Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: practicing without pissing off neighbors

I feel like a pair of 5" monitors would be pretty reasonable?

5" monitors can go loud enough to piss off your neighbors, but if you put lean them so that they point at your ears, you don't have to have them very loud to practice.

Almost impossible...

What I've been doing when my girlfriend doesn't want to listen, is pop one in ear phone in my queing ear (left) for the que and then whack a set of headphones over the top for the main output. Works a treat and isn't half as bad as you'd think. Give this a try

It's perfectly possible to mix in headphones, and good practice for when you're playing in a club with shit/no monitors. Sometimes I actually feel more focus when doing it, compared to the usual speakers and one headphone. I'll do it sometimes if it's late and I don't want to disturb the neighbours.

I tip a old skool dj friend gave me years ago was on the incoming track raise the mid or high so you can hear it a bit better. Once you've matched it up reduce them and do your mix.

I just ordered some Gen 3 Rokit 5s

Quote Originally Posted by Decidan View Post
    What I've been doing when my girlfriend doesn't want to listen, is pop one in ear phone in my queing ear (left) for the que and then whack a set of headphones over the top for the main output. Works a treat and isn't half as bad as you'd think. Give this a try
    I will probably wind up trying this too

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabbitMonk View Post
    I tip a old skool dj friend gave me years ago was on the incoming track raise the mid or high so you can hear it a bit better. Once you've matched it up reduce them and do your mix.
    This is a little over my head right now

First and foremost, I need to figure out what I'm doing. Once I get my equipment, I feel like the learning curve will be pretty steep, lol

Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    It's perfectly possible to mix in headphones, and good practice for when you're playing in a club with shit/no monitors. Sometimes I actually feel more focus when doing it, compared to the usual speakers and one headphone. I'll do it sometimes if it's late and I don't want to disturb the neighbours.
    Sorry for the stupid question, but can you describe how you'd practice with headphones when there is no split cue option (i assumed a $2k unit would have the option, but that's on me for not researching).

I do like the suggestion of an ear bud in one ear for cueing with headphones over that...

Record your mix for later listening and cue in headphones... Solved.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.