Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: practicing without pissing off neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    This is very expensive to even properly soundproof, at least that was my understanding.
    I soundproofed my room for a little more than $200. Almost no sound leaks out and I'm using RP8s. Before, even low, they would wake up the entire house. After I spent the money doing the soundproofing it hasn't happened again.
    Appreciate everything. If you don't you might just loose it...

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabbitMonk View Post
    I tip a old skool dj friend gave me years ago was on the incoming track raise the mid or high so you can hear it a bit better. Once you've matched it up reduce them and do your mix.
    Seems Like a solid tip I am gonna give it a go for my next practise set.

I practise almost exclusively in my headphones i will sometimes use monitors but i prefer either split cue or useing the cue/main control to hear what i want

Quote Originally Posted by Tkevik View Post
    Sorry for the stupid question, but can you describe how you'd practice with headphones when there is no split cue option (i assumed a $2k unit would have the option, but that's on me for not researching).

I do like the suggestion of an ear bud in one ear for cueing with headphones over that...
    My mixer has a cue/mix knob so I just use that for cueing tracks. It's not quite the same as having the cue in headphones and master coming out the speakers but you can still do a mix with it.

Perhaps just monitor at very low volumes and turn the headphones down accordingly.

Will also make you a better beatmatcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Biostasis View Post
    I soundproofed my room for a little more than $200. Almost no sound leaks out and I'm using RP8s. Before, even low, they would wake up the entire house. After I spent the money doing the soundproofing it hasn't happened again.
    This is incorrect a misunderstanding. Acoustic Treatment and Sound Proofing are 2 different things. If anything acoustic treatment will absorb the volume in the room, make you play louder, resulting in more bass bleed. Acoustic treatment does very little in dealing with low end, unless you get really technical. Sound Proofing is impossible to achieve with anything less than many thousands of pounds. To trap sound you have to turn it into heat, via friction. Bass will travel through most things.

Best solution is to low cut your sound... Mix on poppy speakers.

Many think it's the bass that helps them mix align, but sine waves are quite large and lack transients, it's actually the high end, the clicks, the punch of the kicks, the sharpness of high hats that enable perfect sync. The large cycle of a bass wave only smears that.