Thread: Set List tips/Music Organization tips

Set List tips/Music Organization tips

Hello fellow Entertainers,

I was wondering how you guys organize your music. I.E Do you organize based off of artists or by other means? Along with this what kind of work goes into creating a set list not for a gig since I am still honing my skills, but for practice making a set list a long with being able to work on my beat matching, phase matching, and EQ matching etc. I want to be able to when I feel comfortable with my current skills to try it out on a practice run per say. Thank you all for the time you put into answering my noobish questions.

- Insert DJ Name Here

Hello,

It really depends on how you want to organise your library, but I would highly recommend it.

I myself organise by a few methods:

I do a general year era folder, example: 70's, 80's, etc. and put specific folders in them accordingly, for example in the 70's folder, I'll have disco, classics, etc.

As for the rest it's basically the same, except per genre, so you know the usual, trance, house, etc. then stuff like specific club mixes in a folder obviously being 'club', R&B, etc.

I will also put commercially popular (so basically top 40) in a commercial pop folder and update it every now and then, so when I'm doing a gig that they want specific top 40, I have a good selection.

It's basically up to you, many people will do it differently to me, some would do it the same, and others would have a totally different and unique approach all together to suit their own style.

Good luck!

Hello, can't help with folder organisation, but here is a thread about creating set lists:

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...585#post242585

I use rekordbox

Within that it keeps all downloaded tracks in one long list.

From this list I've then created playlists from the month of purchase.

The main genres I play are prog and electro house which I don't keep separate but I do keep the trancier stuff separate.

I also buy the occasional House track (some would say it's not really house but I'm not going there) but usually these are 126-128 bpm so fit in well at the start of my sets so again I keep them in with my other house stuff.

If I'm not on my decks or tts or searching for new choons then I will be on my laptop creating playlists and generally going through my tracks to keep familiar with them.

Always keep your songs well backed up.

I could really do with buying an external hardrive as at the moment mine are on my computer, laptop and USBs !!!

Thank you all for the tips. Right now since I am new I am focused on Hardstyle, so basically I wait till Q-dance comes out with their monthly top 40 then buy it. As well as buy some of my favorite artists albums when the release them I.E. Noisecontrollers E= mc2 and others. So I have a lot of different artists remixes and original mixes. Would it be a good idea to separate it by artist do you think? Thank you Jimanee for that link it did not come up in the search when I looked before writing this thread. I have all of my music backed up to a server TIMMBO I appreciate the advice.

I organize by bpm always I dont take requests so if I have the bpm range I can choose the next song to suit the crowd if you plan on taking requests this option might not work