View Poll Results: Was this tutorial series helpful?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 33.33%
  • No

1 33.33%
  • Make some more...

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted : Proofreaders for tutorials

EDM Production 101 (Almost everything you need to know about EDM production)

Hello production forum,

Quote Originally Posted by Background information
    I recently finished two documents on compressor & equalizer (13 pages in total) and aim to publish them here at djforums.com as a tutorial series available to everyone as an educational resource. The ultimate goal would be a library of documents on sound processing and production, with anyone being able to contribute to this project.

But, before publishing, I'd like to have them proofread by two people fluent in English. The other applicant must be somewhat tech-savvy, as for the other one, little to no previous knowledge is a requirement. This mainly because my aim is to create a series of tutorials which are accurate in terms of technological know-how but also understood by a novice.

The reason for crowd-sourcing is because this started off as book but I soon realized it would be too much of a project for one man to handle, so I'm turning to you.

The prize? Well, you get credited for contributing, and IF this goes big, you'll get the bragging rights to be the ones involved in the creation of an online tutorial series.

Once chosen, you'll be given a dropbox link with material. As a proofreader, you must point out any misinformation or mistakes in grammar and spelling, as a writer you must study the subject thoroughly and write an article on the topic at hand, and return to me with a private message/email.

Thank twice, think big!

-efinque

Here's an application form and a sneak peek.

Quote Originally Posted by APPLICATION FORM
    Production experience in years :
    Reason for applying :

Quote Originally Posted by CURRENT STATE OF THE PROJECT
    I'd say it's done, feel free to contribute though. Throw me a pm and we'll get things going. Updates come in bulks from time to time.. the whole needs to be sorted out etc, I'll get to that once I have the time.

DISCLAIMER : There are several other sites, authors (such as Bobby Owsinski who provided us with the Mixing Engineers Handbook which I've yet to read) and sources of information so there's no reason for the history to repeat itself so keep those torches to yourself

EDM PRODUCTION 101 : PROJECT FOLDER

28.2.2014 : Added a chapter on Basics of synthesis
    25.4.2015 : Updated the project folder
    28.4.2015 : Arcade LP pdf presentation and a brief mixdown video added
    1.5.2015 : PWNTENDO (Ableton Live Template for 8bit sounds) added
    2.5.2015 : DnB Template (Ableton Live) and a poll added
    2.5.2015 : Articles on Mastering and Artwork added
    2.5.2015 : Article on Distribution and Marketing added
    3.5.2015 : Added Massive Presets and some minor updates
    13.5.2015 : Added Production of a track using Ardour (deleted) and the Circle of Fifths as well as ANATOMY OF A TRACK in the picture folder.
    14.5.2015 : Added an article on track anatomy
    21.10.2015 : Updated Production of a track
    29.10.2015 : Added some more Massive presets and stems of my latest project (deleted)
    4.11.2015 : Added a mastering plugin .fsm file for Flowstone/Synthmaker (FL Studio) [MOVED]
    29.12.2015 : Added a Melbourne Bounce Ableton Live template
    9.3.2016 : Added a very brief article on the history of EDM and the corresponding .odt file (removed for clarification)
    10.3.2016 : Added an article on reverb (removed for clarification)
    13.3.2016 : Added an article on reverb (revised) and delay
    17.3.2016 : Added an article on phaser, chorus and flanger
    17.3.2016 : Added an article on file formats, medium and metadata
    30.3.2016 : Added an article on using a ghost track and the corresponding .odt file
    8.6.2016 : Updated the distribution & marketing article with final words
    12.6.2016 : Added a supplemental article on acoustic treatment and the corresponding .odt file (edit: revised, added some illustration) as well as a brief disclaimer
    12.6.2016 : Moved the Flowstone plugin schematic to the templates folder
    13.6.2016 : Revised file formats, medium and metadata
    13.6.2016 : Revised Mastering
    22.6.2016 : Added a supplemental article on running a website and the corresponding .odt file
    28.6.2016 : History of EDM article removed for further clarification
    8.7.2016 : A brief (revised) history of EDM added as well as the corresponding .odt file
    15.5.2017 : Added an article on financial stuff (revised) and the corresponding .odt file
    1.1.2018 : Minor updates..
    5.9.2018 : Added a rather short article on digital logic and a brief tutorial on programming a hardware synth and the corresponding .odt file

Here is the project so far, let me know what you think!

Huge thanks to Dj DRPX and Jimanee for their contribution!
    -ef
    Made using OpenOffice and WordTime

ISHKUR's GUIDE TO ELECTRONIC DANCE MUSIC is a useful chart to find your niche and get familiar with the genres and the history

Sample pack thread by Rek_Aviles to get things going

Mixdown tricks and tips by Th3Technician

A few words of wisdom : Hygro's Production Tips thread

[FOR ADVANCED PRODUCERS] MDA Plugins are a nice complement to your ever-growing plugin arsenal

8note has a nifty piano chord chart, as do most how-to-play-piano books

DiscMakers published a Home Studio Handbook which is worth checking as well

Primary language: English
    Production knowledge: near zero
    Reason: I used to proofread for a marketing company.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanee View Post
    Primary language: English
    Production knowledge: near zero
    Reason: I used to proofread for a marketing company.
    I'm honored to have you aboard, Jimanee. I didn't expect a professional with background in proofreading to apply.

Now we need a tech-head to skim through the mathematical jargon.

Primary language : English
    Production experience in years : 1
    Reason for applying as a proofreader : I think this is a good idea and I'd like to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dj DRPX View Post
    Primary language : English
    Production experience in years : 1
    Reason for applying as a proofreader : I think this is a good idea and I'd like to help out.
    Thank you for applying Dj DRPX but I'm looking for someone whose mathematical knowledge regarding sound processing is superior to mine.

However, if you want to contribute, there are certain fields in production I have absolutely no idea about. I will finish a master list/table of contents that would be included in the project, so, if there is a topic you are interested in, feel free to write an article.

I can already tell you it should be "in its simplest form" rather than "in it's simpliest form"

I'd consider myself a decent writer and quite good at spelling and grammar, I have a joint degree in Electronics and Music and have a decent understanding of DSP etc. but I'm afraid I don't really have any spare time on my hands just now.

Clever (yet unintentional) marketing tactic to get a proofreader. People love correcting each others mistakes eh, got your attention there now didn't I disparate?

To be honest, your technological/mathematical knowledge and contribution would be appreciated.

I corrected that -liest to -lest in the documents yesterday -_-

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    Thank you for applying Dj DRPX but I'm looking for someone whose mathematical knowledge regarding sound processing is superior to mine.

However, if you want to contribute, there are certain fields in production I have absolutely no idea about. I will finish a master list/table of contents that would be included in the project, so, if there is a topic you are interested in, feel free to write an article.
    Got your pm, but I'm curious about one thing. Why do you assume that I won't understand the mathematical aspect well enough? No where in the application was there a field that really showed any mathematical experience with production. Granted, your understanding is probably better than mine, but I have written essays regarding higher levels of mathematics in the past. One of these was specifically on the formation of periodic waveforms for music production from the mathematical standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    Clever (yet unintentional) marketing tactic to get a proofreader. People love correcting each others mistakes eh, got your attention there now didn't I disparate?
    Deliberate mistake? I've never understood why but a lot of otherwise competent writers seem to struggle with the "its"/"it's" thing, so that one jumped out at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dj DRPX View Post
    Got your pm, but I'm curious about one thing. Why do you assume that I won't understand the mathematical aspect well enough? No where in the application was there a field that really showed any mathematical experience with production. Granted, your understanding is probably better than mine, but I have written essays regarding higher levels of mathematics in the past. One of these was specifically on the formation of periodic waveforms for music production from the mathematical standpoint.
    Sorry for jumping into conclusions.

I might be facing a process of making this project bigger and more serious than I imagined in the first place, so there's a certain amount of pressure involved. I see a huge potential in the current userbase of this particular forum and the information regarding different aspects of DJing/production should be somehow logically bound together.

On the other hand, I can't take the risk of letting people without sufficient knowledge,integrity and persistence be involved, which is why I may show signs of borderline paranoia or prejudice.

Bottom line : I want to have you aboard in this.

Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    Deliberate mistake? I've never understood why but a lot of otherwise competent writers seem to struggle with the "its"/"it's" thing, so that one jumped out at me.
    Sought after are the pedantic (read : smart-assed) people too, for proofreading and double checking. My primary language is finnish by the way.