Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diggin to find speakers (Found old ones)

I picked up a pair of Sansui S2000U 12" mid bass, 12" radiator, 4" mids & dome tweeter towers (4 ohms each & roughly 75 watts RMS)from my dad a number of years ago (my mom made him step down to bookself speakers but with no sub) that my dad picked up in the late 80's or early 90's (to replace a pair of Technics speakers that our cat decided to pee on & the smell couldn't be cleaned out). They have been in my garage for the past 11 years connected up to an old Crown D75 amp & old Gemini 2 channel mixer, the Crown died on me less then a month ago so I am in the process of building a cheap D class amp based on the TDA8950 circuit (roughly around 90 watts a channel into 4 ohms at 20hz - 20Khz) to power these speakers. I am only debating now on if I should keep on using the Gemini 2 channel mixer or if I should make this amp integrated or maybe build a separate pre amp for it.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

be careful with those speakers, hifi types don't handle too well if you start pushing the EQs up, especially in the high department... That said, I still have a technics amp from that exact era bought 20 years ago, same looks, still working great.

:edit:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Boom Bap View Post
    Does she still have the receiver, or amp that she used to power those?
    This is the amp, technics SU-600. Old technology but the sound quality is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Boom Bap View Post
    Boom there you go. Now all you need is some wire, I'd go for the thickest gage you can cram in the back of those speakers
    nope, go for the gauge that fits, and I can tell, they are somehow a tiny fit, 2 / 2.5mm at most
    Last edited by Manu; 02-17-2014 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by diceallion View Post
    i would not invest a nickel in restoring them if they bust
    If the drivers are as cheap as they look to be ($10 woofers) I agree.
    I picked up four Advents from the curb and refoamed all of them ten years ago for $25. Still going strong in the workshop.

I have a set of JBL 4312's that are right at 30 years old now and nothing in my inventory (stand alone tops) including my Yamaha DXR15's hold a candle to these speakers in a home setting style room. They are crystal clear and as flat a freq. curve as you have heard. Of course they were over $400.00 each in 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschooldj View Post
    I have a set of JBL 4312's that are right at 30 years old now and nothing in my inventory (stand alone tops) including my Yamaha DXR15's hold a candle to these speakers in a home setting style room. They are crystal clear and as flat a freq. curve as you have heard. Of course they were over $400.00 each in 1985.
    Pro gear can easily last 30 years. I have some Peavey.s made in the 80's that I use hard at all of my bigger gigs. they still sound awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Troy View Post
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by allensmusic View Post
    Pro gear can easily last 30 years.
    Those are Hi-Fi / studio monitor speakers, not PA speakers. They look similar the ones pictured in the OP.

Last edited by Windows 95; 02-17-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Those are Hi-Fi / studio monitor speakers, not PA speakers. They look similar the ones pictured in the OP.
    oops, my bad
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by diceallion View Post
    Almost 30 years old and they are in IMMACULATE condition. (Bought in 1984 mom paid $750 +tax)
    $750.00 in 1984 had the same buying power as $1,725.44 in 2014.

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I picked up a pair of Harmon Kardon HK-20's yesterday for free. they will be my office speakers if they work.

they were made in the early 70's

Niiiiice Diceallion, can I go to your mom's house, maybe I find something?