Thread: Do you need a DJ license in Canada

Do you need a DJ license in Canada

Hey. I know I have asked this in general but only ppl from USA answer and doesn't make sense. Since I have DJs saying "you need a AVLA license" but others saying no. Can you guys help me out a little bit more plz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Venues/Radio Stations pay SOCAN fees so that you can play music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    Did someone mention hookers?
    Quote Originally Posted by RDRCK View Post
    am not brony.

Ok, Because their are DJs telling me I gotta have a CDJA License which is $300sum/yr

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Man-204 View Post
    Ok, Because their are DJs telling me I gotta have a CDJA License which is $300sum/yr
    Not at all Mad,

There is like 2-3 scenarios ....
    1. You are a DJing at your friends place that's for fun.... (You do not need any license since this is a private home event and using music as entertainment)
    2. DJing at a Wedding Hall, Prom Hall, Anywhere public large events (There is two options here, usually these Halls already pay for a yearly SOCAN license or you will have to pay around $50-$100 depending on the amount of people coming to this event)
    3. DJing at a Club/Established joint who giving you a full time gig (They must provide SOCAN license for legal issues)

These are pretty much the scenarios when you'd need or not need a license

Hoped this helped!

The AVLA licence is not so much about the venue (that is the realm of SOCAN/Re:Sound), but how you store and source your music.

For example, the only way you can (commercially and legally) play music from iTunes is to purchase a licence (without, your music is good for personal use only). Similarly, if you rip CDs to hard drive or make a copy, you need to purchase a licence. The AVLA also restricts where you can source your digital music in the first place.

It's worth joining one of the CPDJA or CDJA; you can have it included in your membership and you get a ton of other benefits too - including access to group insurance plans.

Sadly, here in Alberta there are many DJs operating without licences, without insurance, using illegal music and have a pair of cheap speakers. You can find them on Kijiji for $150.