Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fender expo system

Fender expo system

Hello, my first post here.

Looking to replace my EV SB2A/ZX1-90 combo with the fender system. I'm looking to get 2 units for weddings up to 200ppl.

http://www.fender.com/series/fender-...o-system-120v/

Your opinions please. Thanks!
    Last edited by DJ GDN; 02-10-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ GDN View Post
    Looking to replace my EV SB2A/ZX1-90 combo with the fender system. I'm looking to get 2 units for weddings up to 200ppl.
    Your opinions please. Thanks!
    This is another Bose L1 copy and just like those systems you can expect relatively weak bass and no real subbass output. If you were happy with your EV combo then you will also be happy with the Fender but I wouldn't consider it an upgrade.

P.S. Scratch that.. I just went and looked at the Fender specs. What a joke.. looks like they copied the Bose strategy with that too.. meaning there are no specs. But with the info they do provide I can't in all honesty recommend this for anything but as a home audio system, this will be a big downgrade from your EV gear especially in the lowend.
    Last edited by conanski; 02-10-2014 at 02:17 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    This is another Bose L1 copy and just like those systems you can expect relatively weak bass and no real subbass output. If you were happy with your EV combo then you will also be happy with the Fender but I wouldn't consider it an upgrade.

P.S. Scratch that.. I just went and looked at the Fender specs. What a joke.. looks like they copied the Bose strategy with that too.. meaning there are no specs. But with the info they do provide I can't in all honesty recommend this for anything but as a home audio system, this will be a big downgrade from your EV gear especially in the lowend.
    Yeah, I'm a little suspicious, similar system from FTB is more than double.

http://www.fbt.it/ENG/PAE/PRODOTTI/LINE-ARRAY/Vertus/

The line array is the new must have piece of equipment in audio but I'm seeing an increasing backlash against it in the Pro Sound world because on larger scale applications these systems are more often than not incorrectly deployed and setup. That doesn't apply directly to these compact systems because they can only be setup one way in most cases, but the detractors also extends criticism to the sound quality of these systems as well. The principle of a line array means it can cover a wider area with more consistent sound levels but the reason it can do that is because of interference between all those drivers. This effect is commonly known as comb filtering, it is very audible with these compact line arrays at close proximity and it's not a good side effect in my opinion. The other thing about these small systems that defies logic is that all the manufacturers seem to pair them with totally anemic low frequency components. I can't understand why this is because the laws of physics don't change when you stack a bunch of drivers in a column, you still need about 10 times as much output below 100hz to achieve balanced sound, so regardless what you use to cover the other 90% of the spectrum you'll need something equivalent to the output of 4 double 18 boxes to cover the 800 person event Fender(and Bose) claims these system are good for. Given what I have stated here you would think I'm totally against line arrays but that's not the case I think it's a good tool for certain applications, problem is it's the wrong tool for the majority of applications you most often see them used for so it may not be the better solution for a mobile DJ.
    Last edited by conanski; 02-10-2014 at 04:21 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Two 6 1/2" speakers in the subwoofer?

The line array is the new must have piece of equipment in audio but I'm seeing an increasing backlash against it in the Pro Sound world because on larger scale applications these systems are more often than not incorrectly deployed and setup. That doesn't apply directly to these compact systems because they can only be setup one way in most cases, but the detractors also extends criticism to the sound quality of these systems as well. The principle of a line array means it can cover a wider area with more consistent sound levels but the reason it can do that is because of interference between all those drivers. This effect is commonly known as comb filtering, it is very audible with these compact line arrays at close proximity and it's not a good side effect in my opinion. The other thing about these small systems that defies logic is that all the manufacturers seem to pair them with totally anemic low frequency components. I can't understand why this is because the laws of physics don't change when you stack a bunch of drivers in a column, you still need about 10 times as much output below 100hz to achieve balanced sound, so regardless what you use to cover the other 90% of the spectrum you'll need something equivalent to the output of 4 double 18 boxes to cover the 800 person event Fender(and Bose) claims these system are good for. Given what I have stated here you would think I'm totally against line arrays but that's not the case I think it's a good tool for certain applications, problem is it's the wrong tool for the majority of applications you most often see them used for so it may not be the better solution for a mobile DJ.
    They will be available in June. I'm going to take my EV combo and compare them in the store. Keep in mind I need them strictly for 100 people weddings, no hip-hop or any heavy bass music. Just dance music. They are light, good looking and quick to set-up. My biggest issue is the sound quality. I have been spoiled by EV and RCF. Wonder is anyone heard them already?

The line array is the new must have piece of equipment in audio... problem is it's the wrong tool for the majority of applications you most often see them used for so it may not be the better solution for a mobile DJ.
    I agree, years ago Gemini had a system like this at the Mobile Beat Conference showroom going and all of the other speakers
    from various mfgrs drowned it out. You had to concentrate on trying to listen to it. Great for small functions, meetings, karaoke, etc.
    But for weddings and such I have to say no as well.
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller

I could see these working for small to medium weddings for ceremony speakers, or satellite fill speakers, esp. if they come in white.
    One of the pros I often hear re: the Bose L1 is how brides love the look and the place where looks are most important is the ceremony.
    I would think of the 'subs' as bass bins which is what I call boxes with a bit higher frequency reproduction range, but I don't know if one could move the hpf and crossovers up that high to get the effect I would be going for.
    Typical top boxes get down to about 65 Hz give or take these days if used full range. If the 'subs' in this rig are just trying to reproduce say 55 to 120 Hz leaving everything above 120 to the 'line array' instead of going for true sub territory, then the spl could be enough for a good 2-300 people.

Then you move people to the reception where you have your dance rig set up.

I doubt seriously the boxes are set to do this, or even have the ability to do this. The top component connects via a proprietary connector meaning you probably can't apply an external crossover to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

You may not be able to adjust the crossover points in these integrated systems, but there's nothing stopping you from using a real sub with them, with your own crossover. Adding separate subs from 35-40 to 65-75 really makes a difference if you do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ GDN View Post
    They will be available in June. I'm going to take my EV combo and compare them in the store. Keep in mind I need them strictly for 100 people weddings, no hip-hop or any heavy bass music. Just dance music. They are light, good looking and quick to set-up. My biggest issue is the sound quality. I have been spoiled by EV and RCF. Wonder is anyone heard them already?
    If you are something thats easy to to set up and looks good. look at Line six speakers they weight only 6 pounds and are a 3 weigh speaker with 2 10's so should have more low end output.

Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans