Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD Player/Mixer Set for a college radio station

CD Player/Mixer Set for a college radio station

So I play hard dance music on a primarily indie rock college radio station. All we have in the studio are 2 vinyl decks and a mixer we believe to have been purchased in the 80's………anyways……the financial manager of the station came to us the other day asking if there is anything we would like to get for the station. I chimed in saying I believed we should get some sort of cd player/mixer combo. after a long discussion on why this would be a good idea. That being said, it's a college station, making it very difficult to ask for 2 cdj-2000's and a djm-900. Any suggestions for a good quality, decently priced (south of, say, $2k) set that would allow for cd playing and possibly computer integration?

Thanks for all the help.

Are the turntables direct-drive? Is it a DJ mixer? If yes to both, then I would recommend a DVS like Serato Scratch Live.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    Are the turntables direct-drive? Is it a DJ mixer? If yes to both, then I would recommend a DVS like Serato Scratch Live.
    While it is yes to both, one of the tables is broken and the mixer is fairly old. Given that some people just prefer to use cd's, I had figured we'd just get a set of cd platters and a new mixer (my main reason for wanting this is so that I could learn how to mix on live equipment, facilitating my ability to get a job at a club, if that makes any difference), but if you're suggesting we just get new software, I'll propose that to the manager as well.

A DJM-250 and two CDJ-350s fits your budget. I suggested a DVS so you could use the old equipment with a computer, but if it's broken, don't worry about it. If it was in working order, SSL would've worked well because everyone can download the software for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    A DJM-250 and two CDJ-350s fits your budget. I suggested a DVS so you could use the old equipment with a computer, but if it's broken, don't worry about it. If it was in working order, SSL would've worked well because everyone can download the software for free.
    Thank you very much. I'm definitely going to keep this option open. I was doing some research on top of this to see what else I could find, and I came across the Denon DN-S1200 player and DN-X1600 mixer and was wondering if you (or anyone else for that matter) had any thoughts on these. I realize Pioneer is kinda the standard today but at this point I'm really just testing the waters and looking for opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by cbb692 View Post
    Thank you very much. I'm definitely going to keep this option open. I was doing some research on top of this to see what else I could find, and I came across the Denon DN-S1200 player and DN-X1600 mixer and was wondering if you (or anyone else for that matter) had any thoughts on these. I realize Pioneer is kinda the standard today but at this point I'm really just testing the waters and looking for opinions.
    Pioneer gear will prepare you the best for playing in clubs since you'll find a pair of cdjs and usually a pioneer mixer in almost every club, as well as a pair of technics. Cdj 350s or 400s would be in that price range and they've got the USB ports for playing tunes from flash drives as well! Maybe repair the technics, that'd be a cool idea, and it might not cost much either.
    2 x CDJ 850 | DJM 900nxs | Traktor Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53 headphones | Xone K2 | Traktor X1 | Traktor F1

Quote Originally Posted by Firebr4nd View Post
    Pioneer gear will prepare you the best for playing in clubs since you'll find a pair of cdjs and usually a pioneer mixer in almost every club, as well as a pair of technics. Cdj 350s or 400s would be in that price range and they've got the USB ports for playing tunes from flash drives as well! Maybe repair the technics, that'd be a cool idea, and it might not cost much either.
    Alright. So after a day of research I have sorta 3 options depending on price range (according to google shop) we can use:

Low: DJM-250 Mixer + 2x CDJ-350 = about $1480

Medium: DJM-700 Mixer + 2x CDJ-850 = about $2600

High: DJM-850 + 2x CDJ-850 = about $3400

One question I have before I bring the last one up is, can CDJ-850's work with the DJM-850? The CDJ-900's according to djbooth.net run at around $1.2k, making it and extremely unlikely option, but if the CDJ-850's aren't compatible, that means I might have to change some things around. What do people think of these ideas?

Any CD players will work with any mixer. Any brand will work with any other brand. Anything that outputs audio will work with any DJ mixer.
    Last edited by Andrew B; 03-15-2012 at 01:47 AM.

I think cdj 850 are not necessary for your needs. CDJ 350/400 will do everything you will need and probably more especially at this level.

If you're looking to get better value, I would look at the Denon S3700 decks + X1100 mixer. I find the build quality to be right there with Pioneer and lower prices for comparable gear. I'm sure if you contacted a couple of dealers, you could get the above for about $2000. There's at least one deal online of the 2 decks and mixer for $2299.
    http://www.realproaudio.com/dj-gear/...n&currency=USD

EDIT: Or to get that price under $2000, swap the x1100 for the X120
    Last edited by ampnation; 03-24-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.