Thread: Native Instruments Traktor F1. Mixer?

Native Instruments Traktor F1. Mixer?

Native Instruments Traktor F1. Mixer?

Is the Native Instruments Traktor F1 controller considered a mixer, or would one say it has a mixer?

I know it is a controller, but it appears like it could be considered a mixer too/has a mixer.

Controllers are not mixers, but controllers can mimic mixer controls. The F1 is a controller, but has few similarities to a traditional mixer. The Z1 on the other hand, does a very good job of mimicking a traditional mixer, at least in layout. I can't speak to its performance. For me, the basics of a DJ mixer include 2 or more channels with faders or rotary level controls, a cross fader, EQ and master out level control. A few other features are also considered standard usually like cue functionality. NI calls the Z1 a mixing interface.

In addition to a mixer or controller that facilitates mixer functionality, you need transports like CDJs or turntables.

Mixers can be used standalone with audio sources, while controllers are dependent upon a computer because they are simply tools for interacting with the virtual DJ setup on the computer.

Some controllers also have mixers built into them like the Denon MC6000 which allow them to operate as a controller, and standalone without a computer. In the case of the MC6000, I don't think you can use the built in transports in standalone mode because there is no display allowing you to choose a track to play etc. You have to be using something like standalone CDJs or turntables.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Let's see. Here's the back of the F1:

Here's the back of a mixer:

There's a bit of difference here. Long comparison short, the F1 is merely a controller. There's no audio going through it, so it cannot be a mixer.
    Last edited by KLH; 02-08-2014 at 08:05 AM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...