Thread: Mashup/Remix software?

Mashup/Remix software?

Hello there,

Any recommendations for programs more geared towards creating mashups or remixes?

I was using Mashup2 for a month but there was a glitch with the vsts and the company couldn't resolve it so they gave a refund. I started trying to use Ableton but I've never liked their layout and the process didn't seem as user friendly as Mashup2 to me.

Anyone have experiences with acid, logic, FL studio, reason, etc...specifically for creating mashups or remixes?

Ableton live is a steep learning curve but the best all in one piece of software you could use for mashups and remixes. Stick with it because lesser software will seriously limit your potential of putting something together worth while.

These two I did purely on Ableton Live, painstakingly beat syncing the music to a click track and beat matching the vocals

Grapevine

Being Open With You

Or Sonic Foundry/Sony Acid (I still use) and put this together on it which was much simpler because I only arranged the vocal over the track and only had to get the master tempo to match the Marco V tune

Marco's Bitch

This one was done on cubase though because we added a a synth line into it and it was just easier. It was a right bitch to get the vocals synced though.

Funky Disco

To sum up there isn't one piece of software that is perfect for all scenarios but Ableton Live will cover it all if you put the time and effort in. Making a decent mashup or remix is not as easy as it sounds.
    Last edited by andymunro; 11-14-2015 at 03:22 PM.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Thank you for your input. I'm diggin Marvin Gaye track. I know I should just frickin' learn Ableton already but I don't have the patience for it. I'm just trying to have fun at this stage in the game. I just started djing this year for fun. I'll look into Sonic Foundry & Acid. Thanks again

You need to put time and effort into it, otherwise you'll just end up creating rubbish which will be a complete waste of time. Trust me!
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Making music isn't an instant gratification activity. At. All.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I understand, but like most people here, I'm sure, my time is divided among a lot of other facets of music-making and I just don't feel like I have the time to devout to learning Ableton right now. I didn't mean to come off someone who just started doing music and expected it to be easy. I produced a good amount of material using hardware in a boy/girl electronic duo for a couple years before I ever started DJing. Just new to this world is all. Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by Primmrose; 11-14-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: grammar

Throwing a couple tracks into Sony Acid, cutting them into loops, and layering them to taste is probably the closest to what you're aiming to do.

Ableton Live has a massive learning curve. You can easily spend 12-18 months before you feel comfortable in it.

However, you can get a good "how to mashup and DJ in Live" crash course by just sitting down with an experienced Live user for an hour or two. Also read the manual and watch some tutorials. If you just get warping down, you're most of the way there as far as mashups in Live.
    "Real DJs do real things. Real things. Whatever the fuck that is." -oliosky