Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: (Dj Help) Do I need to buy an amp for my speakers?

If you don't want to haul a sub around the powered Yamaha DXR15 will to do a decent job on bass.

If you do EDM in large rooms you will need a big rig with multiple 18" subs... and renting is always a option "if needed".

All the "clubs" I know of have their own systems and engineers, the DJ supplies the personality.

Dattflo,

Where in Sussex County? My first house was near Lake Hopatcong, then moved to Byram Township and then Green Township before moving to Virginia the end of 2001.

With your budget, I can put you into a kick a** system. Let me know the venue you're working in, I bet I'll know it.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

First, let me say I agree with all the proceeding posts - if you are going to be serious about this, get better equipment.

However, I would like to jump back to your original statement that "it doesn't get loud enough". This surprises me. While it may not "sound good", I would think volume wouldn't be an issue.

Are you sure the 110/220 volt switch on the back of the Pyle preamp/amp is in the right position? Some of the stuff coming from China has it set for 220 volts.
    It should be set for 110.

Also, are your speakers on the floor or up in the air?
    Last edited by Hanginon; 01-31-2014 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillESC View Post
    Dattflo,

Where in Sussex County? My first house was near Lake Hopatcong, then moved to Byram Township and then Green Township before moving to Virginia the end of 2001.

With your budget, I can put you into a kick a** system. Let me know the venue you're working in, I bet I'll know it.

--I currently DJ at Kites in Vernon. (the resort right next to Mt. Creek)
    --Usually outside at the Tiki Bar and then upstairs later.
    --As for bigger venues, we have an opportunity to work at some bars in Hoboken. (which I would rather do, once I upgrade my equipment)

Quote Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
    First, let me say I agree with all the proceeding posts - if you are going to be serious about this, get better equipment.

However, I would like to jump back to your original statement that "it doesn't get loud enough". This surprises me. While it may not "sound good", I would think volume wouldn't be an issue.

Are you sure the 110/220 volt switch on the back of the Pyle preamp/amp is in the right position? Some of the stuff coming from China has it set for 220 volts.
    It should be set for 110.

Also, are your speakers on the floor or up in the air?
    --My speakers are usually stacked (on the floor), two on each side of the booth. It gives it a really nice look with the booth considering the speakers are a decent size when stacked one on the other. As far as sound though, I will have the check the volt switch. Usually in order to get the volume I'm looking for I have to max the master output causing clipping. Yeah, it will get loud, but it definitely sounds off. Keeping it at an appropriate level without pushing it, I usually have the volume on my pre-amp maxed.
    Last edited by Dattflo; 01-31-2014 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dattflo View Post
    ]Usually in order to get the volume I'm looking for I have to max the master output causing clipping. Yeah, it will get loud, but it definitely sounds off.
    Enough said, you're overdriving your amp AND your speakers. If you need to ever reach the maximum output of your speakers, you don't have enough rig for the job.

I used to supply the Playboy Club with it's gear and worked there when big events came in requiring extra help.

You really should consider going with active cabinets. Do you have a budget to work with?
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

The Mulvihill's are trying to make the Playboy Club in a huge indoor waterpark now.

As far as a budget, I have about $3000 to work with.

A set of powerful small mains (10") and pair of good 18" subs can be found for that budget.
    How much room do you have for transport?
    Last edited by mr.doom; 01-31-2014 at 10:14 AM.

I have plenty of room. That, I'm not worried about.

I just want to make sure that whatever I get, is the best I can afford in terms of playing in a bar/lounge atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dattflo View Post

--My speakers are usually stacked (on the floor), two on each side of the booth. It gives it a really nice look with the booth considering the speakers are a decent size when stacked one on the other. As far as sound though, I will have the check the volt switch. Usually in order to get the volume I'm looking for I have to max the master output causing clipping. Yeah, it will get loud, but it definitely sounds off. Keeping it at an appropriate level without pushing it, I usually have the volume on my pre-amp maxed.
    Ok.. so, that's the worst possible setup for the speakers, and even with them stacked they're probably a bit low. You'll definitely do better with the systems we are suggesting.. with your speakers on stands to raise them up above head height. Also, your amp is very low powered, anything you get is going to have a lot more.