Thread: MC Cartridge for MM Input HIFI Listening options update Stylus HOMC?

MC Cartridge for MM Input HIFI Listening options update Stylus HOMC?

UPDATE - clearaudio Maestro v2 MM is the top of the list at the mo...

Budget $2000 or less under $1000 better but looked a clearaudio (not the goldfinger lol)

Just some ideas and tips please. I retired my 1200's from use many years ago but of course now that we are finally building a dream house there will be permeant place to have them setup to spin some tracks. Basically listening only NO DJing/scratching etc. Ortofon's were always on it and were good. I always wanted to try the Shure M44-7 For that boom of low end and may well do.

But for the purposes of listening to music much of it rock n roll, AC/DC/ Chisel/Prog Rock Glam metal, Grunge and a stack of current Pop stuff and 90's dance music with the occasional Andrew Lloyd Webber Iam looking for something to up things a bit now that I have a bigger budget.

The setup is
    Technices 1200MK2 and an MK3 (probably will put a MONO stylus on one down the track for mono records) Plugged straight to HIFI have an old technics mixer I could use for Gain input but prefer to keep this SIMPLE.
    Pioneer SX-1980 Amplifier
    Cerwin Vega XLS-215 Speakers
    All connected with Mogami cable And a dedicated Power Conditioner

I really did not want to go the route of a sub but still want some SNAPPY low end.

Now I see there are some Moving Coil cartridges that are HIGH output that i can run without putting in a step up. I prefer to avoid another link in the chain but appreciate I may well step up to that later. But these:
    HOMC (High Output Moving Coils) see to be a passable option)?

The SUMIKO Blue Point Special Evo III seems to be an absolute bang for the bucks unless someone else can better advise

really don't want a step up or pre phono stage box running just trying to keep this simple and playful. When i step up to a Mcintosh Amp in the next 20 years we can resist that then LOL

OR

Do I just go for that Shure M44-7 It seems it would not disappoint. A lot of reading on the net points toward the Shure 9XX as a more musical option but if I do pull out some older D&B stuff would love to have that deep sound. Ortofons have been great but simply wore down and as this is going to bump into a MID-fi / HIFI project down the track all advice on this is warmly received. Iam rather novice in the technical side of this . LOL It use to be JUST about the music. My first gig the pub manager said ' Can you play' i said yes the rest was history. Now I love all this but feel i missed some important stepping stones to fully appreciate things. Also reigonal area did not have a store with hundred of carts/stylus's to try.
    Last edited by wapples; 05-27-2018 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Additional/updated leader