Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Behringer DDM4000 Review (After 2 Year of Use)

Behringer DDM4000 Review (After 2 Year of Use)

Behringer DDM4000 Review – After 2 Years of Almost Daily Use

Looks and Display
    At first glance it looks complicated yet it makes you think about the many things that the mixer is capable of doing. The blinding lights that were greatly hated on the early models have been removed so the mixer is easier to look at in lowlight situations. The channel and master LED level bars are fairly accurate and quick to respond to volume changes. Keep in mind there are only 2 colors on the bar, orange and red, this means that there is no neutral green or third color making it hard for one to maintain a 0dB signal. This is not that big of a deal, just don’t let your level meter go into the red. All of the buttons are plastic and after having the mixer for two years the oils and skin cells from my finger I guess have been absorbed by the buttons I hit most, such as the PFL button, leaving a smudge on the button causing the LED to look a bit dimmer, and simple cleaning solution will fix that problem. Also the LED on a PFL button has gone very dim which is interesting because I have rarely touched that particularly PFL button. The mixer is overall in a logical layout except for the headphone jack which is place nearly in the middle of the right hand side of the mixer, though you get used to it after a while.

Feel
    For a mixer that packs many features it sure is light, maybe a little too light causing one to be skeptical of its build quality. I have dropped it a few times, about one foot falls, and it has survived. As I stated before all of the buttons are hard plastic, this creates a problem. The plastic buttons grind against the metal faceplate and create dust that you can see forming on the side of the mixer. The buttons I have hit the most, PFL buttons, have lost some sensitivity requiring a forceful push to activate or deactivate the button. The channel faders are light but they do not feel smooth. It feels as if there is some sand in the fader track. The crossfader is smoother and is capable of performing your basic scratches. The eq knobs are a little stiff but will smooth out with use. Basically all of the knobs and buttons are same and don't feel smooth causing the mixer to feel less user-friendly.

Sound Quality
    The sound is a bit cold and bland in my opinion which causes me to sometimes leave a light reverb effect on throughout my set.

Effects
    The DDM comes with a decent amount of effects such as flanger, echo, bitcrusher and several others which you can use on any or all channels as well as the mic. You can control the specific parameters of each effect to achieve the desired sound which makes the effects sound good after proper adjustment. You can also specify if you want the effects to only affect the hi, mid, or low of the music. The mixer automatically matches effects with time parameters with its built-in BPM counter but this can easily be overridden. Controlling the effects can be slightly difficult being that the controls are small and have multi-purposes. If you’re selecting a channel to set your effects to and decided to hit the “effects on” button it will not engage which still throws me off even after two years of use.

Sampler
    The sampler section has two banks that lets one record up to 32 seconds on each bank. I don’t use it much being that I have a dedicated sampler, but from the little I have experimented with it it’s possible to create some cool effects and delays. There is a noticeable fuzz sound in the recordings.

Mic
    The mic input truly sucks. There is no volume control only a trim control. This means one cannot regulate the amount of db coming into the channel causing one to easily get crazy amounts of feedback even if you have the trim knob below 25 percent. Because of this a have to use a 2 channel studio mixer which takes up one of my mixer channels so I can use a microphone.

Inputs and Outputs
    This mixer has almost all the inputs and outputs anyone would need except it is missing an usb output.

Problems
    -mic input to much gain
    -on some occasions the effects stop working properly and change the sound quality when you engage it (think of a filter). This can be fixed by repowering the unit.

Overall
    The DDM has many features so I can’t go over everything. It is great if you want a mixer that does it all for a low price. One should expect that the mixer will not work as well as the more expensive mixers it’s trying to simulate. I am happy that I bought the mixer because it gave me the opportunity to experiment with many features that more expensive models have. If you are going to use a microphone avoid this mixer at all costs. The mixer is decent but needs to be at more streamlined in terms of its effects controls and have better knobs and buttons to.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Last edited by DJ Riddims; 02-05-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Last edited by Rek_Aviles; 02-05-2012 at 02:01 PM.

I've had mine since July of 2011,only problem I get is a little digital noise; and that's with my levels below red. Overall I'm happy with it for what it does. I do beat the pass out of it (just watch me on faderwave sometime ). Can't really complain, if I can get another year of use out of it is be happy.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by tails View Post
    I do a pretty lazy job wiping my ass if I know I'm about to shower though.

I had the DDM4000 for about 4 months before upgrading to the Pioneer DJM-2000. I must say, for the price, it has a LOT of great features. The MIC input was extremely annoying however I must say!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz View Post
    I had the DDM4000 for about 4 months before upgrading to the Pioneer DJM-2000. I must say, for the price, it has a LOT of great features. The MIC input was extremely annoying however I must say!
    Wow, that is quite the upgrade, I am debating Pioneer DJM 900 or Denon DN-x1700 as my next mixer.
    twitter - @DJRiddim_
    facebook - https://www.facebook.com/DJRiddims?ref=hl
    youtube.com/vibes4321

I had been considering a DDM4k before I got my AEM-100, but seeing that it's been relatively ok for the time it's been out has kinda pushed me towards wanting a NOX606.

Unfortunately, I can't find a good review of that thing ANYWHERE!
    The n00bist formerly known as Pyroja | Battle Record: 0-1
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut69 View Post
    kept thinking to myself "damn this woman has two kids". was kinda weird, but kinda awesome at the same time

I have dropped it a few times, about one foot falls

The MIC input was extremely annoying however I must say!
    That's what absolutely all them mobile DJs said about it, the mic on these is rubbish(sensitivity too high even with the gain all the way down). Avoid this mixer if you intend to use it.
    Last edited by Manu; 02-08-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Budzak View Post
    kinda pushed me towards wanting a NOX606.

Unfortunately, I can't find a good review of that thing ANYWHERE!
    Coming right up.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post

That's what absolutely all them mobile DJs said about it, the mic on these is rubbish(sensitivity too high even with the gain all the way down). Avoid this mixer if you intend to use it.
    I thought all the reviewers were just being overly critical. Then I realized that the mic input does truly SUCK.

True the Mic Input does suck, especially the fact that you are constantly on the verge of reverb whenever you use a Direct Mic with no separate controls, but other than that I've been using the DDM4000 for about 2 years as well, and I still would recommend it.