Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Studio Monitors

I couldn't afford Genelecs, but I'm pretty happy with my KRKs.

Yeah…I'm convinced my KRKs sound just fine for my purposes. I do need to invest in bass traps whenever I can afford it at the very least. And I'd love to get something on my ceiling. I will be upgrading to Dynaudio at some point…but that's just a convenience issue. The only reason I'm posting is that the ghosts in my bedroom turned down one of my Rokits again and it took me like 10 minutes to figure out why things sounded so weird…I checked my panning settings, the sound card's levels, etc.…then remembered the ghosts.

Why do monitors have volume knobs? Fucking annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Why do monitors have volume knobs? Fucking annoying.
    cause they are not sold as matched pairs...

I'd say that was legit except for two things: the click'd gain adjustments are too big to ever matter for differences that small; and they're Rokit 5s……if you care about having a matched pair of monitors, you're going to buy better monitors anyway.

I'm never going to bother selling them…I'm very close to just breaking the volume knobs off.

The yamaha's and other's, have also some controls for dealing with room conditions

I also find the volume knob to be usefull for "limiting" when my GF or any friend at my house want to turn the volume up in the computer, they never think there is such volume control in the back XD

Adam Audio is one of the best ones you can get (in my own opionion of course). Now whether you go with AA, KRK, Yamaha, basically any of them, you will get the "ear fatigue" going on if you have long listen back sessions. I've heard the Yamaha HS50M's, and they aren't too bad. Really nice actually, but I still prefer adams over all. As for the ear fatigue thing... BLUEPRINT has the right idea, the best way to remedy that is to bounce back and forth between your listening sources. Ear fatigue can play some nasty tricks on you if you get too carried away in front of the same set of speakers over an extended amount of time (things will start to sound different though no actual change may be taking place)
    The KRK VXT series is supposed to have worked on solutions to eliminating this, but I can't be the one to say if they truly work that way or not as I have only heard them for a short amount of time (5 minutes) and haven't worked first hand with the VXT's. I have the KRK Rokits, but, as mentioned, ear fatigue will happen.

Funny that these two speakers are in question... I use the KRK 8's and my roommate uses the Yamaha Yamaha HS50Ms. That being said, The KRKs color the bass insanely. The bass is overwhelmed. I actually plugged the bass ports in my speakers to reduce the bass a bit. The Yamahas are really nice, I love them, but they have almost no bass. The reference mode feature is really nice. If you're looking for a more accurate studio monitor, get the Yamahas.

i find taking a break is a great way to get over ear fatigue

For what it's worth I'm quite happy with my Behringer B2031As. They're definitely not the weakest link in my chain, that would be my room... I've had them for 3 or 4 years and I do intend to get better monitors eventually, but only either once these die or I get a better (or at least a dedicated) studio room, not sure what you guys thoughts are on this but I'm not sure if I see the point in getting a nice pair of Dynaudios or Adams or something then just shoving them in my living room or bedroom.

I mostly bought the Behringers on the recommendations of Eric Skyelab who generally knows his shit, has he been back here since the DJF hiatus?

I don't think there's any point in putting good speakers in a crappy room. There's a point in getting "not crap" speakers. But not good ones.