Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Studio Monitors

Also check out Fostex PM1 Mk2, i use them and i think they give a great uncoloured sound

awesome, im looking for the flattest sound. i want TRUE representation when i play it back. I can then put the sound through my mixer to my pa system and listen. I just want flat sound for the best mix down i can do.

Then, for near fields, you want Genelec. Adams and Dynaudios are supposed to be good as well, but Genelcs are the most impressively flat that I've heard.

KRK, Yamaha, Mackie, M-Audio, Behringer, etc. don't cut it.

As with anything audio you get what you pay for. I would suggest you listen to all the monitors with in your budget. Take a cd of your own stuff and some of the music you like(different genres if you can) to the store to play it back with some of the monitors.

There is always gonnna be better equipment that what you can pay for, but it's possible to work with low end stuff, many people does it, look for example at pics of studios of famous EDM producers, you will see mid-end to low high end stuff, nothing crazy, Yamaha, genelecs, adam's, dynaudio's, mackie's. What is important is to learn to use the equipment, know its limitations and shortcomings.

For example Yamaha's NS10 are famous as studio monitors, and they weren't even designed as studio monitors.

They were famous because they sound like crap…they have a really harsh bump at 2kHz and a weird rolloff. The point was that getting something to sound good on them at low volumes meant that the same mix would sound awesome on a real system at full volume. If you want that, the HS50M and 80M have switches on the back that get fairly close.

If you can't afford things that flat…just listen in as many places as you can…good, flat monitors just make things easier.

awesome, thanks for all the input guys. i really appreciate it!!

Got some listening to do and then decision time.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    KRK, Yamaha, Mackie, M-Audio, Behringer, etc. don't cut it.
    These would suffice a person in the OP's position. If the OP is in a position where these would not be good enough, other factors would be coming into play such audio interfaces, converters, acoustic treatment of the room. For the purposes of this thread those above would suffice, and A/B'ing the OP's mixes with released recordings would be better practice than spending the extra money on top shelf monitors at this stage.

But yeah, the genelecs are a good choice for high end studios

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy View Post

One of the guys there told me that KRK's tend to color the bottom end, idk if this is true.
    yup, they color the bottom mids. Get some yamahas, genelecs or adams if you want some true flat response. The yamahas are good in the sense that if you get your mix to sound right on them, it will sound awesome on any other system.

@Alan, acoustic treatment (and the room) make the biggest difference. The difference between converters is there, and it's audible…but it's tiny. The difference between an NI Audio 2 and a Metric Halo ULN8 is smaller than the difference between a naked room and a room with basic sound treatment. The difference between what he has and monitors might be even bigger.

Sorry…I assumed that anyone who was in the market for Genelecs would have done some kind of acoustic treatments.

Yeah, true there.

Can't wait till I get out of crappy apt and get a space I can actually treat for music. Should prob start savin now for one of those sets above
    Last edited by thehadgi; 03-14-2012 at 02:07 PM.