Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Every DJ Should Read This: "10 Reasons Why You Should...Beatmatch By Ear"

I really have not understood the debate on this. Learn how to beatmatch by ear. Period. I liken this to musicians knowing how to play to a metronome. It's a basic skill that all should know.

Do you have to beatmatch manually 100% of the time? Do you have to beatmix every track in every performance? That's up to each DJ. Use technology as much as you want, but the issue here isn't that; it's developing a basic skill.

There really shouldn't be a debate. Learn how to beatmatch by ear... and move on to the next skill: Phrase matching.

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

i like that article man, very true indeed. may save it for when i meet any up and comers. first thing i did when i got my turntables was learn to beatmatch, and i still practice on occasion to keep the skills sharp. in addition though i have labeled every sleeve of my vinyls with the bpm of tracks to save myself time when mixing and choosing out of my crate. I think essentially beatmatching is a pillar skill as said in the article, but practicality doesn't hurt either.

Edit: well said KLH, my thoughts exactly

This is like sync bashing without actually bashing sync.......
    If you aint havin fun you aint havin nothin. http://www.facebook.com/fat8ack
    http://soundcloud.com/fat8ack

Quote Originally Posted by colione98 View Post

But you have to agree, that looking at the BPM or manually or beat matching by ear still takes away from your ability to EQ or FX. Sync on the other hand eliminates that. So I really don't see how riding the pitch or looking at the BPM is any different...
    I have to disagree with that too, I mix with my hands not my eyes and I don't have to look at the equipment to know what I am touching.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Quote Originally Posted by colione98 View Post
    Again, manually and by ear are two different techniques. Manually is using the pitch and can include the aid of BPM counters because every standard equipment has BPM at clubs... There is no going away from that. By ear is without the above...

Tell me if roger sanchez has time on his hands to make his djing more fun by going bones and doing everything by ear without looking at the bpm on the CDJS...

Full disclosure: I hate on CDJs any chance I get, as I find them soulless. I hate 90% of all "EDM" DJ's unless they bring an element of turntablism to their set e.g. Terrence Parker, and I hate on the sync button any chance I get.

Now that we've got that out of the way, sorry, man, but that was uber boring and it seems like he had all the time in the world. Granted, I didn't make it all the way through the set because I was bored to tears, but it looks like DJ P is doing more with less time, all while beatmatching manually. I mean if he can do it, shouldn't Roger Sanchez be able to do the same?

Click here for mobile viewing.

You may find it as "taking a step back", but I find it an essential part of dj'ing. To each their own.
    Last edited by jvine; 12-18-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jvine View Post
    To each their own.

I know this is a discussion forum. But this right here pretty much.

I dont dare put my 2 cents in here. I do not feel like being bashed.
    If you aint havin fun you aint havin nothin. http://www.facebook.com/fat8ack
    http://soundcloud.com/fat8ack

Full disclosure: I hate on CDJs any chance I get, as I find them soulless. I hate 90% of all "EDM" DJ's unless they bring an element of turntablism to their set e.g. Terrence Parker, and I hate on the sync button any chance I get.
    I find that 99% of the time, scratching and house music (not Festival EDM) sound awful together unless it is in the breakdown of a hip-hop influences track. You can hate what you whatever you want, but I think that is a weird way to judge a predominantly mix DJ.

As for the soul, while i prefer wax, I find the soul has a lot more to do with what you are playing as opposed to what you are using to play it. Don't think listening to a James Brown CD denigrates his soul-credibility.

I mean if he can do it, shouldn't Roger Sanchez be able to do the same?
    He can... in the same way Craze can kill without sync if he had to.
    Last edited by Finnish_Fox; 12-18-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    I find that 99% of the time, scratching and house music (not Festival EDM) sound awful together unless it is in the breakdown of a hip-hop influences track. You can hate what you whatever you want, but I think that is a weird way to judge a predominantly mix DJ.

As for the soul, while i prefer wax, I find the soul has a lot more to do with what you are playing as opposed to what you are using to play it. Don't think listening to a James Brown CD denigrates his soul-credibility.
    I'm not talking scratching, just more involved than 32/64 bar straight mixing etc. While I don't enjoy the music so much, I have a huge amount of respect for guys like BBB and Terrence Parker, because of wha they bring to the table skill wise.

On soulless CDJs. It's not the cd I hate, it's the no moving platter and lack of "connection" with the music that I don't like about CDJs. But like I said, to each their own. I don't usually voice my opinion on this kind of stuff unless the topic pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    He can... in the same way Craze can kill without sync if he had to.

I'm sure he can. My response was to more aimed colione98's argument of Sanchez not having enough time to those things in set without those aids. Much like sigma's thread a year ago or so, I hate that excuse.

I feel the need to play devil's advocate.

IF you only perform with a DAW like Ableton Live, there's no need to ever beatmatch by ear, right?

IF you only perform at home and never want to perform outside of the bedroom, there's no need to learn beatmatching by ear, right?

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    I feel the need to play devil's advocate.

IF you only perform with a DAW like Ableton Live, there's no need to ever beatmatch by ear, right?

IF you only perform at home and never want to perform outside of the bedroom, there's no need to learn beatmatching by ear, right?

-KLH
    Agreed

Not that my opinion matters, but I wouldn't really consider either example to be "DJ'ing" though.