Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Every DJ Should Read This: "10 Reasons Why You Should...Beatmatch By Ear"

Every DJ Should Read This: "10 Reasons Why You Should...Beatmatch By Ear"

Don't think this has been posted here yet, but this article is spot on. I think it can be safely said that if you disagree with the point of this article, you are ignorant to the true craft of DJ'ing and its roots.

"10 Reasons Why You Should Still Know How To Beatmatch By Ear"

http://www.passionatedj.com/10-reaso...tmatch-by-ear/

Well I don't need to worry about anyone getting on me, since my cheap CDJs don't have sync American Audio CDI300s

All good points in that article. Beatmatching by ear can save your ass in some cases...I have no problem with sync...I use it often times myself. But knowing how to do it manually I think any aspiring DJ should learn.

I agree with the article, but I have a question via multiple choice......

When should someone use the sync button?

a) Only when you're too wasted to beat match manually

b) Never, only noobs and lazy fucks use sync

c) Only to syncronise the bpm, but manaully pitch bend and beat match

d) WTF!!! I don't have a sync button.....

Last edited by Vernski; 12-18-2013 at 07:42 AM.
    DJ Forum Trance Champion 2013/2014
    Retired

I don't know about the rest of you, but beat matching by ear keeps DJing entertaining for me. I went through 3 setups starting out. I did the controller thing for a bit, but lost interest quick. Then I went to a DVS, but was still cheating by using the phase meter or the bpm readout and got bored again.

It was the two CDJ 800's I picked up and used for a bit that opened my eyes to what DJing is suppose to feel like. I loved them, but got tired of burning CD's and missing that turntable feel.

Now I strip Traktor down to the bare bones and I found the way I prefer to DJ. Sometimes I will break out the CDJ and mix between vinyl and CD, just to keep me extra sharp.

Bottom line, if I didn't get the visual aids out of my workflow, I wouldn't still be DJing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksound View Post
    Wth? Is everyone on here a minger I can't be the only one here who has a constant barrage of hot young ******* throwing themselves for no strings attached encounters

Quote Originally Posted by kyle133 View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but beat matching by ear keeps DJing entertaining for me. I went through 3 setups starting out. I did the controller thing for a bit, but lost interest quick. Then I went to a DVS, but was still cheating by using the phase meter or the bpm readout and got bored again.

It was the two CDJ 800's I picked up and used for a bit that opened my eyes to what DJing is suppose to feel like. I loved them, but got tired of burning CD's and missing that turntable feel.

Now I strip Traktor down to the bare bones and I found the way I prefer to DJ. Sometimes I will break out the CDJ and mix between vinyl and CD, just to keep me extra sharp.

Bottom line, if I didn't get the visual aids out of my workflow, I wouldn't still be DJing.
    Agree with this.

So I've used DVS and controllers and it just puts me in the wrong kind of mindset to DJ properly. I am not sure what it is exactly, but it does take some of the fun out of DJing and I think my sets end up being less interesting and less spontaneous when using a computer. I only ever tried it for a few months but I soon stopped.

My housemate has recently sold traktor and is seemingly enjoying DJing so much more again.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Made in NYC,Tested Overseas,Bottled in Miami,Sould to Jersey
    I have been reading some of his articles and he writes as if he is living in the 90s when only CDJs and tables were around. His titles are misleading at times. By ear? But then he explains the reasons to beat match "manually"- they are two different techniques. The only way to beat match by trully ear is to cover the BPM counter on the CDJs or software.... Why would I do that in 2014? To help know my roots?

The article could have been an easy 1 sentence and say "kids, practice with club standard equipment: CDJs.....

1.It helps you know your roots. ? I have been spinning since 1993 and now I am asking about my roots? Its 2014, djing has evolved!!
    2.It earns you respect amongst your peers. ? I thought we tell our kids to not worry about what others think?
    3.For many, it’s more fun.? Do you really have that much time on your hands in front of a crowd of 150 playing for 6 hours that you have to cover up your BPM to have fun?
    4.It can be more rewarding. ? For who? What is rewarding about taking steps backwards?
    5.It helps maintain a human element. DJ + audience interaction is what creates human element, not covering up your BPM counters.

This is only pertains to me, but if I am thinking about those 5 points along with taking steps backwards from BPM technology that I have been using since 1998 to make djing being "more fun" then I have too much time on my hands. When playing for a crowd of 150 or more in an intimate setting for 6 + hours, my mind is on setting up 2-4 tracks in advance, adding vocals, looping on breaks, "jabbing"- setting up 2 or 3 tracks for that 1 monster banger and doing that over and over.

For me that is advice is going backwards. Once I have my tools that I mastered, it becomes second nature. If I have to go backwards, then I lose my perception and it is no longer djing and evolving WITH THE GREATS...

Last edited by colione98; 12-18-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle133 View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but beat matching by ear keeps DJing entertaining for me. I went through 3 setups starting out.
    this. I still get excited when I get two records at the same tempo.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by colione98 View Post
    The only way to beat match by trully ear is to cover the BPM counter on the CDJs or software.... Why would I do that in 2014? To help know my roots?
    You have to cover them up to not use them?

Also, whole # BPM information really isn't all that helpful in getting tracks sync'd for a 2-3' mix, like you'd do in house music. Sure, using it to get it into the right range might save you a few seconds, but at the end of the day, you still need your ears in order to have it come anywhere close to being on-point and hold it for a few minutes.

Even though both CDJs might say "128", fact is that 128.1 and 128.9 are noticeably different.
    Last edited by Finnish_Fox; 12-18-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Made in NYC,Tested Overseas,Bottled in Miami,Sould to Jersey
    Again, manually and by ear are two different techniques. Manually is using the pitch and can include the aid of BPM counters because every standard equipment has BPM at clubs... There is no going away from that. By ear is without the above...

Tell me if roger sanchez has time on his hands to make his djing more fun by going bones and doing everything by ear without looking at the bpm on the CDJS...