Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speeding up Song selection...?

Speeding up Song selection...?

i usually scroll down my songs according to BPM's but since i've been introduced to mixing in key... my song selection isn't as fast as i'd like.. i usually let it go a verse or two before i switch but is there a way to search for songs or is it something that comes naturally?

Banned
    I'm guessing you're using serato?

it usually comes naturally to me, but sometimes I draw a blank and it is a huge struggle to just look through a list and pick a song.

hopefully you will just develop an ear and memory for what will work together.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Troy View Post
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by kick6 View Post
    I'm guessing you're using serato?
    two 1200's and and a 57 sir.

I'm one of the biggest advocator of mixing in key on DJF, but I wouldn't let it slow down my song selection.

It doesn't have to be harmonically compatible to be the song that should follow.

When I want to mix harmonically and quickly, I usually prepare flows of 2-4 songs and bang that out when I play the "first" song of them.

Usually just comes naturally to me through lots of practice. I have good days and bad days but most of the time the next track I pick sounds good with the current one.

Just remember harmonic mixing is a tool in your box that sometimes comes in useful, not the main thing that should dictate your music choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanee View Post
    I usually prepare flows of 2-4 songs and bang that out when I play the "first" song of them.
    I use this same technique works well
    my new motto for promoters is pay me!

I'm one of the biggest advocator of mixing in key on DJF, but I wouldn't let it slow down my song selection.
    I am basically anti Jimanee, anti-keying or BPMing your tracks and chosing your next track that way.

What I do, is play a track, and think what track I have that would mix nicely with it and take the mix towards the way I want to go with it.

What I have found is those using laptops have a big problem doing this. And I think the reason for it is because you are too quickly and easily distracted by the list of tracks in front of you.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Quote Originally Posted by Adzm00 View Post
    What I do, is play a track, and think what track I have that would mix nicely with it and take the mix towards the way I want to go with it.
    Well you see I do this too and then I check my list of mixouts for alternatives because the brain can only store so much, sometimes I will then also look at lists either ordered by BPM or Key code see if something jumps out of leftfield.

Then I re-evaluate the potentials based on any requests I want to play, it's good to think ahead.

I find this approach selects better music, makes for better nights, than just banging out the first thought that comes into your head

It doesn't have to be harmonically compatible to be the song that should follow.

When I want to mix harmonically and quickly, I usually prepare flows of 2-4 songs and bang that out when I play the "first" song of them.
    I agree that the right song to played next doesn't have to be harmonic or even the right BPM....its just a feeling youget from reading the crowd and experience.

As far as preparing a flow of 2 -4 songs, I can appreciate that, but I think it leads to predictability.