Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any good alternative to the LS801PB that are smaller

Are there any good alternative to the LS801PB that are smaller

I'm looking for something that's even remotely comparable to my LS801PBs. I have two of them and they are a bitch to move anywhere. I'm wondering if there are any smaller subs that have anywhere near the capability of the Yorkies? I was looking at ksubs, and noticed they go lower, have about the same SPL and are a million times smaller. It seems like the spec sheet has to be lying though. How can they go lower being 12" than an 18"? Also, how can they be louder in that little enclosure with less wattage? I need help.

I'm breaking my back with the 801s, but don't want to trade down if I'm going to lose a lot of my bass quality. Even if I never even get to run them past 25% power at any venue.

You're reading specs wrong, the Ksub is -6db at 48hz & has a peak of 130db (real world will fall short of both since it's -3db will be well above 50hz & the real SPL will be around the mid 120db region), nowhere even close to the potential of the LS801.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Gotcha. But the question stands: "Are there anything that can even touch the 801s?" I bought them based on EVERYONE's raving reviews of them on DJF 1.0 and I love them, have NO complaints on build quality, sound quality, warranty, ANYTHING. They are just a pain in the ass to move and require me to FIND someone every time I have a gig, I don't like doing that. I don't even know how I'd offload them onto someone else unless they were somewhere around Pittsburgh, Columbus, Washington D.C, or western Maryland and would meet me half way somewhere to load them into their vehicle from mine and pay in advance. That's a whole 'nother ballgame, though. If there is nothing even close, I suppose I'll suffer through the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWaugh View Post
    seems like the spec sheet has to be lying though.:
    If there's no SPL chart there are no specs. However, QSC seems relatively honest, posting a -10dB figure of 44Hz says it barely qualifies as a true subwoofer, and that takes guts to admit at that price.
    As to how KSubs stack up against the big boys, this is informative:
    http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vi...hp?f=1&t=14238

The JBL VRX918SP and QSC KW181 are about the only subs off the top of my head that comes close. The QSC does 135dB Peak (calculated) and the VRX 126dB (measured in freespace so +6dB for real world)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rees
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

dont bother waiting your time because theres no small alternative to the LS801PB. the only option is to buy 2 smaller subs to equal 1 LS801PB.
    Tech1200s & 1210 pioneer cdj1000, DDJ-sx2,vci-300, serato itch ssl sdj, rane sl1 57 62, RCF-745's qsc k12 jbl-vrx918sp, JBL-VRX932LAP, DriveRack-PA2, Macbook pro+windows 7, Macbook Air Ipad,benQ-mx620st Projector,JBL-VRXhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAQ0GZu_P8

Yorkville LS801P
    http://www.yorkville.com/products.as...9&cat=2&id=382
    134db continuous , +/-3db to 45hz & weighs 137.3 pounds

There are options available to you that will perform as the Yorkville (they will also have a better sound quality doing so) & still come in weighing less (there are also other options but just to list a few...) :

FTB Mitus 118SA
    http://www.fbt.it/ENG/PAE/PRODOTTI/L...118-/index.asp
    http://www.fbt.it/ENG/PAE/DOWNLOADS/...US--ita_uk.pdf
    135db continuous, -6db to 36hz & weighs 103 pounds.

FTB Promax 15SA
    http://www.fbtusa.net/files/Pro_Maxx...mbined_PDF.pdf
    132db continuous, -6db to 38hz & weighs 65 pounds

If you're willing to go passive there are options that will get you the performance that you want in a smaller package & weigh in far less then the Yorkville such as:

JTR Growler
    http://jtrspeakers.com/portable/growler/
    133db continuous, +/-3db 41hz & weighs 88 pounds

There are also other options but just to list a few...
    Last edited by Incognito; 03-12-2012 at 12:23 AM.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Vendor
    In a side-by-side comparison I think the LS801P will stomp on all the subs just mentioned. I have compared it to Growlers, TH-Mini, 4PRO8001, EX2.2, dB Digital18, FBT Maxx10SA, and others and they don't compete. I personally think it sounds pretty decent, too.
    Mike Pyle
    www.audiopyle.com ~ Audio/Lighting Sales
    707-315-6204 ~ mike@audiopyle.com

Quote Originally Posted by audiopyle View Post
    In a side-by-side comparison I think the LS801P will stomp on all the subs just mentioned. I have compared it to Growlers, TH-Mini, 4PRO8001, EX2.2, dB Digital18, FBT Maxx10SA, and others and they don't compete. I personally think it sounds pretty decent, too.
    Yep, for the same reason subs seem to sound good with "bass activators, exciters, etc." .. high distortion levels, but for clean articulate, accurate bass the LS801P just doesn't compete, it also has an inherent flaw from the dated scoop design it is based on (along with flaws it also got from it's close design cousin the CV horn). Going loud is not hard to do, just go big, go power hungry & throw audio quality out the window (the LS801P has all those covered).

Now break out the SPL meter, spectrum analyser, SMAART & have a real subjective listening party & all the flaws I pointed out will become very apparent.
    Last edited by Incognito; 03-12-2012 at 04:42 PM.

I'm trying to figure out how to fit the LS801P in my Prius... once I do that, I'm set for life..
    - jj -