Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Thumbtack may or may not work for DJs.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by VJ LouNYC View Post
    I've been on for a few weeks already. I've bid on about 5-6 gigs and nothing yet. I haven't lost hope yet but I can see that it will not be easy getting gigs. Some request for DJ's are low paying jobs and i'm wondering who is taking these jobs.
    For me, Thumbtack clients are just a step up from Craigslist clients. They're looking to spend as little as possible, but not so little to trust dealing with people on Craigslist. Probably searched on Google for DJ's, passed over the first page of links because the sites were too professional and expensive, then noticed the link for Thumbtack. These people are hunting for a bargain, probably even saw rates on gigmasters and weddingwire before going to Thumbtack, or heard about Thumbtack from a friend who is also a bargain hunter. I've had good luck getting gigs from it, but that's because I spend a lot of time gauging clients' seriousness with questions, I try to make my quote really sell my service and not my price. But still, I don't expect to make much with Thumbtack gigs in the first place.

There's actually a map on Thumbtack that shows the best regions of the US to use Thumbtack. According to the Map, California is not that great of a place for it. Just so happens Texas is. I'll see if I can find it again...

EDIT: Found it... http://www.thumbtack.com/survey#2013/states
    Last edited by ZoommaiR; 12-26-2013 at 01:15 PM.

It really SUCKS in California.
    DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings

Quote Originally Posted by DJMC View Post
    It really SUCKS in California.
    Just a bump but my friend uses this excursively for gigs. I am not sure how many of the 55 gigs he did in 2013 came from Thumbtack alone but most of them did. He lives near Magic Mountain (Canyon Country) and does gigs from Bakersfield down to San Diego.

I actually just did an analysis on my ads, lead generations, and expos.

So overall my biggest net booking source is Google. People that have found my site from a combination of organics and adwords. For 2013 I averaged just under $55/event booked.

Thumbtack was not cheap, and submitting quite a number of requests was exhausting. I did however book some events and that averaged $94/event booked. I still have a couple in the pipe that could significantly lower that cost down but I am not pinning my hopes on that.

There is a local link engine that I netted a pair of bookings from, and it was my cheapest cost at $46/event.

The surprise is Facebook. I spent almost $600 in advertising and netted a single client. I am surprised because I figured with the ability to get super-granular (e.g. ****** or engaged couples in a radius in an age group) then it may produce OK results. But alas that is not the case.

My total investment in 2013 ads, leads, and expos is $2950. I spent $330 on Google, $280 on Thumbtack, $93 on HVMusic.com, $1450 on 2 expos, $590 on Facebook, and $207 on WeDj Gold Listing (for the ads).
    So TT is not terrible, but right now it seems money could be better spent elsewhere.

will give it a look.

Ok, so after a few months on Thumbtack I've booked 2 gigs. I got both gigs to pay me more than there original budget price.

The problem with thumbtack is the DJ's who are bidding below the clients budget. Both clients that I booked parties for said that they received much lower offers offering a lot more. They thought it sounded strange and stayed away.

I am being much more selective when bidding.

I've recently booked 6 gigs from thumbtack. You need to be very selective and realistic on what your bidding on. I stay away from request with no budget.

There are a lot of low ball DJ's on there offering the world for a ham sandwich.

Question:
    I just got a request with no budget, so I replied with "Request an estimated budget" -- it charged me 5 credits!!? I didn't give a quote or any personal information, not to mention the budget isn't what I usually accept. Is there any way to get my credits back? I could've sworn you said at the it the first post that you could ask a question for everybody to see and it doesn't charge credits. I'm confused.
    Thanks

When you asked the question, did you tripe in the "submit quote" section? To ask an anonymous questions, it's in the bottom of page. Send them an email, they might refund you credit.