Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Thumbtack may or may not work for DJs.

I gotta question....

Suppose I bid $1 & send a message telling the bride I need more info & I need her to call me & provide my business name & phone number for her to call me. Is this something I can do OR can I NOT do this according to TT rules?
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I don't see why not, but there's an option already in the drop down box that says "need more info" where you don't have to put any dollar amount.

But will it still cost me $8.33 to send the request for more info?

I thought that if you used that option, it did not charge you the credits. But, it posted your request where everyone seen the question & answer.... & until you paid the amount to send the quote, you could not send your info like phone number etc. So, I am a bit confused.

If you pay to send a quote, you can include your contact info correct?

But if you just use the "Need more info" option, you cant include your info..

Correct or not?

If you use the drop-down menu and use "Need More Info," you are allowed to include your phone number and contact info to have the client call you, and you will be charged 5 credits. If you use just the Q&A section on the bottom right of the service request, it's free, you can ask specific questions missing from the service request, but you can't include your contact info, otherwise it will be deleted. I use this method to get more info from the client and gauge how interested the client is, then send a quote when I think the client is serious. I try not to wait too long though because other DJ's can bid in that time you're asking questions, and the client could bite on the bid and you'll never hear from him again. Thumbtack is tricky like that, it's akin to educated gambling, except the payout is gigs, haha.

Thanks

I've been on for a few weeks already. I've bid on about 5-6 gigs and nothing yet. I haven't lost hope yet but I can see that it will not be easy getting gigs. Some request for DJ's are low paying jobs and i'm wondering who is taking these jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by VJ LouNYC View Post
    I've been on for a few weeks already. I've bid on about 5-6 gigs and nothing yet. I haven't lost hope yet but I can see that it will not be easy getting gigs. Some request for DJ's are low paying jobs and i'm wondering who is taking these jobs.
    For me, Thumbtack clients are just a step up from Craigslist clients. They're looking to spend as little as possible, but not so little to trust dealing with people on Craigslist. Probably searched on Google for DJ's, passed over the first page of links because the sites were too professional and expensive, then noticed the link for Thumbtack. These people are hunting for a bargain, probably even saw rates on gigmasters and weddingwire before going to Thumbtack, or heard about Thumbtack from a friend who is also a bargain hunter. I've had good luck getting gigs from it, but that's because I spend a lot of time gauging clients' seriousness with questions, I try to make my quote really sell my service and not my price. But still, I don't expect to make much with Thumbtack gigs in the first place.

It really SUCKS in California.
    DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings

There's actually a map on Thumbtack that shows the best regions of the US to use Thumbtack. According to the Map, California is not that great of a place for it. Just so happens Texas is. I'll see if I can find it again...

EDIT: Found it... http://www.thumbtack.com/survey#2013/states
    Last edited by ZoommaiR; 12-26-2013 at 01:15 PM.

I actually just did an analysis on my ads, lead generations, and expos.

So overall my biggest net booking source is Google. People that have found my site from a combination of organics and adwords. For 2013 I averaged just under $55/event booked.

Thumbtack was not cheap, and submitting quite a number of requests was exhausting. I did however book some events and that averaged $94/event booked. I still have a couple in the pipe that could significantly lower that cost down but I am not pinning my hopes on that.

There is a local link engine that I netted a pair of bookings from, and it was my cheapest cost at $46/event.

The surprise is Facebook. I spent almost $600 in advertising and netted a single client. I am surprised because I figured with the ability to get super-granular (e.g. ****** or engaged couples in a radius in an age group) then it may produce OK results. But alas that is not the case.

My total investment in 2013 ads, leads, and expos is $2950. I spent $330 on Google, $280 on Thumbtack, $93 on HVMusic.com, $1450 on 2 expos, $590 on Facebook, and $207 on WeDj Gold Listing (for the ads).
    So TT is not terrible, but right now it seems money could be better spent elsewhere.