Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Why Thumbtack may or may not work for DJs.

Quote Originally Posted by DjZombeat View Post
    ... As for the customer leaving a review I have made my own sheet specifically for reviews and hit them up once the gig is complete and they usually are more eager to write something down then and there rather then having to go back to TT instead of facebook. Don't know if this helps but it works for me, and when I have a meeting with my next potential clients they have a chance to look at my reviews both good AND bad.
    I want to make sure I understand your comment about reviews. I'm trying to get better success with getting reviews posted.

Do you mean you take a "review form letter" printed on paper to the event, and have the client hand write something on the form letter after the event, then you show those handwritten reviews during face-to-face meetings with prospective clients?

Or do you have a form on your iPad/phone, let the client upload it at the event, so that it shows up on your website from their email address, etc?

I have a hard time getting people to follow through with their reviews. We get good reviews, and they go on camera at the end of our gig vlogs to give a review, but we can't get them to type a review and post it on The Knot, Facebook, etc.

Google+Business and Yelp reviews are the ones that matter. Google+Business reviews show up in Google search results.
    visit my site http://www.elpasopartydj.com

I just picked up 2 jobs over the past week from Thumbtack for $850 each. Happy as a clam.

Signed up for Thumbtack about a month ago and did not get any hits at first (I'm in a small market) then all of a sudden I got about 7 in two days. But it was strange because some of the names were 'weird' and not even sure they were real people. Some even seemed like duplicates. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it almost felt like they were computer generated to make me spend my credits. I did not get a response from a single one. Now they have stopped coming.....weird but i'll hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by stlstudent View Post
    Signed up for Thumbtack about a month ago and did not get any hits at first (I'm in a small market) then all of a sudden I got about 7 in two days. But it was strange because some of the names were 'weird' and not even sure they were real people. Some even seemed like duplicates. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it almost felt like they were computer generated to make me spend my credits. I did not get a response from a single one. Now they have stopped coming.....weird but i'll hang in there.
    I posted the below message 5/19/15......

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieland DJ View Post
    I am not too sure that most of the leads we get are not generated by Thumbtack staff just to keep you sucked into Thumbtack. Especially those that are refunded... & probably some that are not refunded but you never hear from.
    Most of the leads I get, I'm not interested in anyway... so I never buy or bid them. I'll bid on 4 or 5 a year probably. I dont think I have ever booked a gig from Thumbtack.. Maybe I have but if so, I dont remember it.
    Look, I know TT works for a few people here & I understand that situations are different. So, I am not kicking around you guys that TT works for. But I have found that TT does not work for me & I still am not sure that at least some gigs aret generated by TT just to make it look more legit than it really is.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I posted the below message 5/19/15......

Look, I know TT works for a few people here & I understand that situations are different. So, I am not kicking around you guys that TT works for. But I have found that TT does not work for me & I still am not sure that at least some gigs aret generated by TT just to make it look more legit than it really is.
    Sorry, i didn't get through reading everyone's post (this is a long one!) but you were right on point and i'm starting to believe the same.

Quote Originally Posted by stlstudent View Post
    Sorry, i didn't get through reading everyone's post (this is a long one!) but you were right on point and i'm starting to believe the same.
    No, it wasn't my intent to insinuate that you shouldn't have posted that. I was just showing that others also think that at least some of the leads are bogus. I agree, I get some really odd names & scenario's.

I dont know if TT has changed some of the info that is provided to us, but I do know the last several leads I have gotten, do not have budgets associated/listed with them. Now, they have "the desired type of service" the customer is seeking, which is listed as:
    basic
    standard
    premium &
    high end

That's just dumb.... How the heck does that help me? I mean most of the people on TT are expecting high end service for $300. TT is just getting worse & worse.

No, it wasn't my intent to insinuate that you shouldn't have posted that. I was just showing that others also think that at least some of the leads are bogus. I agree, I get some really odd names & scenario's.

I dont know if TT has changed some of the info that is provided to us, but I do know the last several leads I have gotten, do not have budgets associated/listed with them. Now, they have "the desired type of service" the customer is seeking, which is listed as:
    basic
    standard
    premium &
    high end

That's just dumb.... How the heck does that help me? I mean most of the people on TT are expecting high end service for $300. TT is just getting worse & worse.
    So they used to show the dollar amount budget? That would be A LOT more helpful than what they have now, like you mentioned. If they put in a budget that I couldn't go that low, i wouldn't waste my 'credits' making a quote. But then again, TT wants you to spend your credits On a positive note, I did report one as fishy and another as a possible duplicate and they refunded my credits on both.

I stopped using TT. It seems that all I was getting was...SOLELY TEXT MESSAGES LIKE>>>

" Do you take checks and where can I send it to?"
    "When is your wedding or event?"
    "My husband just wants to pay you first, how much is your service?"
    "Well I need to know what kind of event you are having and when"
    "Its says you have a $1200 package. That sounds good. What is your address?"

SCAM. I called the number from the texts and nobody ever answers.

Sad thing is that NOW I got 2 of those from wedding wire last month. BLEH! SCAMMERS
    Now the next time I get a text like that I'm going to say I ACCEPT CASH ONLY.
    Last edited by fatcatdj; 01-14-2017 at 04:25 AM.
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller

I got a lead today from TT & the fee to buy the lead was $15.03! I'm like.... LOL... WHAT????

Some have been like $6, but since they got away from the credit thing, the dollar amount has been all over the place & to high to purchase, especially since leads only pan out maybe once or twice a year, if any at all.

How the heck do they come up with $15.03?