Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer Advice $8,000 - $10,000 Budget

Orbit Shifters rearranges internal organs for free!
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by audiopyle View Post
    The LS2100P spec is here:
    http://yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=2&id=387

The JTR spec of 139 does not state at what frequency it achieves that level, nor whether it is sustainable, only that it is "usable".
    Yes & that usable frequency range is 121hz to 37hz for a single sub (as you know this extends even further in multiples) so the reading is taken with in that frequency range. One thing Jeff has been very well noted for is stating real world spec for his cabinets as has been verified in various sub shootouts & 3rd party testing, he's actually hosting a listening party in April for anyone interested to hearing any of his designs first hand.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Why don't you build 8 brand new Tuba60's? You will fill the 20,000sqft room with a thick bass.

Wow, incredible knowledge in this forum. I missed this so much! Thanks to everyone for the help so far! We are still deciding, but slightly leaning towards the JTR's or the Yorkville 2100P's. Our sound engineer, also my dad , is leaning towards the JTR's also. A concern mentioned with the 2100P's is that they are continuous 2400W, all of the power on a 20AMP breaker, and 3600W peak. Has anyone run into this problem? We run into mostly 20amps at our venues
    JUST THE SAVAIRE

Quote Originally Posted by SAVAIRE View Post
    Wow, incredible knowledge in this forum. I missed this so much! Thanks to everyone for the help so far! We are still deciding, but slightly leaning towards the JTR's or the Yorkville 2100P's. Our sound engineer, also my dad , is leaning towards the JTR's also. A concern mentioned with the 2100P's is that they are continuous 2400W, all of the power on a 20AMP breaker, and 3600W peak. Has anyone run into this problem? We run into mostly 20amps at our venues
    Just depends how many 20amp breakers you have....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rees
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

Quote Originally Posted by windspeed36 View Post
    Just depends how many 20amp breakers you have....
    We can get plenty, but based on the power handling, can't one of the Yorkville 2100P's pop the amp very easily? I understand some breakers can take loads much higher than 2400 for short periods of time and were designed that way for when appliances kick on. I'm not an electrician though, just thought 2400 was considered the max load for most 20A 120V circuits
    JUST THE SAVAIRE

You should only really load 80% of a circuit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rees
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

Quote Originally Posted by SAVAIRE View Post
    Slight confusion on your part here, the amp delivers 2,400 watts to the speaker but it isn't drawing that much power from the wall. Based on the Yorkville manual (as posted in this thread a few times already) the amp module requires 12 amps from a 120 volt supply or 6 amps from a 220 volt supply for max power draw. Either way you would require one dedicated 20 amp service per LS2100P to deliver enough power for it's max draw however the amp only has a continuous draw of 6.67 amps so depending on what Yorkville spec as a continuous draw (in other words how often does the amp lean more to its' max draw in comparison to its' constant draw) you could potentially get away with two of the Yorkville amps per circuit or if you don't plan on really pushing the limits of the amps so that they keep the amperage draw below even the continuous draw then you may get way with more on a single circuit but to be on the safe side I would lean towards no more then two per circuit.
    Last edited by Incognito; 03-09-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Quote Originally Posted by windspeed36 View Post
    You should only really load 80% of a circuit...
    +1 as per the NEC electrical code.

Vendor
    As Incognito mentions above, the LS2100P will draw 12a on a 120v circuit during hard use. The 2400w amplifier rating is the power it is capable of delivering to the woofer continuously IF DRIVEN THAT HARD. In normal use with music program you will not use anywhere near that power unless you are driving the sub continuously into the limiter, a very bad practice. So if you have 20a circuits in the venue, you are probably quite safe running one LS2100P and at least one top on each circuit.

It is good that you are paying attention to power requirements, but keep in mind that power is an issue to address whether you choose to go with powered cabinets or racks of amplifiers. The big dog amps that are suggested to use with the passive cabinets mentioned in this thread often come with 30 amp cordsets, and some will only achieve full rated output on a 230v supply.
    Mike Pyle
    www.audiopyle.com ~ Audio/Lighting Sales
    707-315-6204 ~ mike@audiopyle.com