Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effect advice [Beginner]

Hybrid View

Question Effect advice [Beginner]

Hello peepz,

I'm new to the DJ scene. I've bought a set with 2 CDJ's and a mixer (http://bit.ly/fOxSPT) one month ago. My question is, is it possible to connect something like this (http://bit.ly/kCDOjM) to my mixer? Or is this only meant for midi DJ'ing? (Eg: Traktor)

Thanks in advance,

Jordy Beckers

the kaoss pad can be used with DJ mixers but i'm afraid not with the particular model you own. the Numark M6 lacks the send/return connections that you'd need to connect the kaoss pad.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarnYourKeep
    name one dj that can replicate richie's drums in a minimal techno way, this coming from a plastikman background...then again i figure trance heads would respond this way they always seek the BUILD UP AND DROP THE BASS BRO

FYI, OP wants to connect a Kaoss pad effects unit.

OP, in order to use an effects unit with a mixer, you need a method of sending sound to it (usually called Aux sends) and returning sound from it (usually called aux returns).

The M6 doesn't have aux sends and returns. There's another way, but doing so only sends the master out to the Kaoss unit. Use the record outputs as an aux send and use channel 3 as your return. This may create a feedback loop (especially for echoes), but should work otherwise.

I would recommend replacing the mixer BEFORE buying the Kaoss pad.

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Ty for replying.

Okay, didn't knew that. Well I don't especially need the Kaoss Pad, it was more as an example... So there isn't any effects unit I can connect to mine mixer?
    When replacing my mixer, what do I need to look out for when I want to connect an effects unit to a mixer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy Beckers View Post
    Ty for replying.

Okay, didn't knew that. Well I don't especially need the Kaoss Pad, it was more as an example... So there isn't any effects unit I can connect to mine mixer?
    When replacing my mixer, what do I need to look out for when I want to connect an effects unit to a mixer?

i'm just using the DJM-700 as an example:

look out for a mixer with the connections saying send & return like these located under the DJMs inputs.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarnYourKeep
    name one dj that can replicate richie's drums in a minimal techno way, this coming from a plastikman background...then again i figure trance heads would respond this way they always seek the BUILD UP AND DROP THE BASS BRO

Or get a mixer with built-in fx, or consider using software with your setup. But these options might/will be more expensive.

Or even better, don't use effects until you have all the basics down. Most DJs tend not to use effects - or more precisely said, beginners tends to overuse effects.

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Or even better, don't use effects until you have all the basics down. Most DJs tend not to use effects - or more precisely said, beginners tends to overuse effects.

-KLH
    I totally agree with that, but just wanted to know my options

Yeah well, I have the complete Traktor Scratch Duo package (for timecode) but I can't get it configured to my decks and mixer... When I want to choose my device from the dropdown menu, it isn't listed... Probably not supported. Really annoying, cuz it wasn't cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy Beckers View Post
    I totally agree with that, but just wanted to know my options

Yeah well, I have the complete Traktor Scratch Duo package (for timecode) but I can't get it configured to my decks and mixer... When I want to choose my device from the dropdown menu, it isn't listed... Probably not supported. Really annoying, cuz it wasn't cheap
    You're doing something wrong, because all equipment will work with TSD/TSP as long as you have the soundcard. Depending on if you have the newer package or the older you have either the A4DJ or A6DJ soundcard. You cannot connect all your channels to those, but then you only need two stereo channels for the NDX400's so it should work for you.

Look for tutorial videos on youtube on how to set the stuff up if you can't seem to get it work, because it should work. Make sure you have all the drivers installed, you have updated the software itself to its latest version etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Connection View Post
    You're doing something wrong, because all equipment will work with TSD/TSP as long as you have the soundcard. Depending on if you have the newer package or the older you have either the A4DJ or A6DJ soundcard. You cannot connect all your channels to those, but then you only need two stereo channels for the NDX400's so it should work for you.

Look for tutorial videos on youtube on how to set the stuff up if you can't seem to get it work, because it should work. Make sure you have all the drivers installed, you have updated the software itself to its latest version etc.
    Hey man,

I have the A4DJ if i'm correct. I could get the decks to calibrate, but not further than that When I pressed play (for example) Traktor didn't responded to it... YouTube wasn't much of a help for me, because it were mostly other interfaces being used