Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing shorter segments of Trance songs

Mixing shorter segments of Trance songs

Anyone ever try to mix shorter segments of trance songs repeatedly? Trance usually has a structure of really long build-ups, a climax, and ends with a recession. I am consistently trying to find ways of mixing just the climax of trance songs repeatedly. It is very hard to do a seamless transition without cutting off the other song or without having too much going on in the mix. It does kind of defeat the purpose of trance music and taking people on journeys but I think it can be a very useful tool for us trance DJ's to keep the energy going when the time is right. The climax of trance songs are just ridiculously bangin'. The most bangin' climax of any music genre in my opinion. If we can seamlessly transition from one climax to the next, I think we, as trance DJ's, will tear the roof off at every venue, club, or party. Any inputs? =]
    Last edited by vnandy2k; 03-07-2012 at 07:15 PM.

I agree that it is crucial to use the power points within songs to establish a level of energy. However it is just as crucial to not overstep our musical intentions by playing a song while one is trying to play out its intened message or body. There are those exact times that a track can slam over to maintain a constant energy feel, but too much slamming can create a choppy mix. Plus its just as important to employ multiple mixing transition styles to suit the incoming song properly.

I try to stack mixing styles in groups so Im either mixing the hell out of something for 3-4 minutes or I'm pushing as hard as I can and tracks are transitioning in a matter of 16-32 bars. Kind of all depends on the set structure...

Some examples of this are:

1. Slow to Peak (the never ending ramp-away we go...and go!)
    2. Slow-Peak-Slow (the mountain climber)
    3. Hold-Hold (just sits in the pocket-hard to stay deep and inverted)
    4. Slow-Peak-Slow-Peak (SuperSaw for DJs, or the Bipolar disorder)
    5. Peak-Peak-Peak (who bumped the 8-Ball and had a 6-pack of Red Bull?...bazinga bitches )
    6. Slow-Peak-Hold-Slow-Peak-Peak-Hold-Peak-Slow-Slow-Hold-Peak-Show Stopper (Advanced Journey)

On a whole though I do agree when mixed properly Trance has a feel to it that is kind of un-matched.
    Last edited by Ohmega; 03-08-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    DJForums Member since 2004
    DJForums Trance 2008: 2nd Place, DJForums Trance 2009: 3rd Place, DJforums Trance 2010: 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Ohmega View Post
    6. Slow-Peak-Hold-Slow-Peak-Peak-Hold-Peak-Slow-Slow-Hold-Peak-Show Stopper (Advanced Journey)

On a whole though I do agree when mixed properly Trance has a feel to it that is kind of un-matched.
    I agree 100%. A proper trance DJ can tear a room to pieces in the course of a night, and imo Trance has the best longevity, especially when using your #6 as quoted above.

I typically like to mix like this, but with an overall "slow-to-peak" structure throughout the entire set. That is to say, I will start slow, build build build, drop slightly, build build build, drop slightly, build build build, etc.

It's kinda a 2 steps forward, 1 step back way of mixing. I find that it keeps the crowd energized and waiting for more.

Also- I try to never remove any of the meat of a track. If the meat of a track isn't up to snuff, then I'm simply not going to play that track. A good song should be good for the entire length of the track, not just the breakdown.
    DJF Trance Champion 2012
    Sedna - DJ & Producer
    <-- Click it
    Do you believe in a God that tells you lies, or do you believe in me?

I find listening to mixes where trance songs are cut short to be kinda frustrating... just as I'm getting into one tune it changes and we're already listening to something else.

Armin's Year End Megamix things are an example of what I mean. He mixes 40 tracks in one CD, i.e. 74 minutes. That's less than 2 minutes per track on average.

For me trance music, out of all genres of EDM, is all about the build up and the anticipation you get before the track peaks. 2 minutes just ain't enough time for me to get into a track.

Kids today just don't have a long enough attention span to listen to trance the way it should be played

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    I find listening to mixes where trance songs are cut short to be kinda frustrating... just as I'm getting into one tune it changes and we're already listening to something else.

Armin's Year End Megamix things are an example of what I mean. He mixes 40 tracks in one CD, i.e. 74 minutes. That's less than 2 minutes per track on average.

For me trance music, out of all genres of EDM, is all about the build up and the anticipation you get before the track peaks. 2 minutes just ain't enough time for me to get into a track.

Kids today just don't have a long enough attention span to listen to trance the way it should be played
    I believe Indecent noise did 70 on his EOYM 2011. What a stomper that was.

check it out

http://soundcloud.com/indecentnoise/...e-yearmix-2011

had that mix on my iphone since it came out.
    Last edited by Dave Porter; 04-02-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Porter View Post
    I believe Indecent noise did 70 on his EOYM 2011. What a stomper that was.

check it out

http://soundcloud.com/indecentnoise/...e-yearmix-2011

had that mix on my iphone since it came out.
    Well, that's because Indecent Noise is absolutely fucking awesome.
    DJF Trance Champion 2012
    Sedna - DJ & Producer
    <-- Click it
    Do you believe in a God that tells you lies, or do you believe in me?

Quote Originally Posted by Sedna View Post
    +1
    DJF TRANCE CHAMPION 2011
    DEEPER SHADES OF TRANCE - BRINGING YOU THE BIGGEST NAMES IN TRANCE WEEKLY VIA TRANCERADIO.FM

+2
    Quote Originally Posted by EarnYourKeep
    name one dj that can replicate richie's drums in a minimal techno way, this coming from a plastikman background...then again i figure trance heads would respond this way they always seek the BUILD UP AND DROP THE BASS BRO

+ infinity

Thanks for the recommendation, listening to it now.