Thread: Sacrifice or necessity?

Sacrifice or necessity?

I have a Pioneer CDJ 800, Two Technics 1200s and a Vestax mixer and was wondering... should I sell the CDJ?

Before I am lynched, let me finish first... I am brrrrroke! I can not afford vinyl. At least not more than 15 dollars a week and I don't know what to buy, that could mean I end up with a lot of s**t. I feel I would need to learn on the Technics first anyway and I can only use the two vinyl or one vinyl and CDJ on my mixer... not all three at the same time. I am pre-beginner... I have only messed with my turntables a couple times, so I don't know... I got the CDJ on a whim. Maybe it was a mistake? Feedback would be awesome! Please be honest in how you feel about it.

Thanxxx,
    Jesse aka essei 7.0

I say experiment with it and then make up your own mind. Many start with TTs and sell them to get CDJs. Many sell TTs and CDJs and get a controller. Others go the reverse.

In short, master what you have instead of wondering about what you're missing.

-KLH

Do you only have one cdj 800? If so I would get rid of that and with that money buy yourself a used serato unit, which if you look around should be around 300 or so. Then just buy music digitally when you have any spare cash. Cheaper than vinyl and when you do have extra money to burn you still have the option of purchasing vinyl.

Hmmm. I'd say sell once of the Techs, buy another CDJ and you'll be good.

I like the idea of starting on tables and moving out from there, but if money is that tight you won't be able to afford as much music for the Techs as you could with the CDJs. Unless you're going for the whole "turntablist" hip hop thing. But even then... get your feet wet with the CDJs first, keep the 1 Tech for whatever you find on vinyl and to scratch with if you're going that route.

If you like the feel of vinyl, get some timecoded vinyl and get yourself a nice DVS setup going. If you like the versatility of CDJs, sell one or both Technics and get another CDJ. I learned how to beatmatch on vinyl but I don't like the mechanics involved with mixing with it. I started on a controller, learned to beatmatch on vinyl and then sold my controller to buy CDJ 1000s. I'm most comfortable with CDJs, they're my favorite medium to DJ with. From what you've played with on the CDJ, do you like it more than vinyl? You certainly get more features with a CDJ than you would a vinyl turntable and the price of music would be lower.

TL;DR, which one feels more comfortable to you, CDJs or vinyl? If CDJs, sell one or both Technics and get another CDJ. If vinyl, I'd recommend selling the CDJ and getting a DVS setup.
    2x CDJ 2000, 1x CDJ 900, 2x Technics 1200 M3D/Shure M44-7, Denon DN-X1500, 5" KRK Rokit G2, Polk PSW10, Sennheiser HD 25 II straight cable, 64 gig Crucial C300.