Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Copyright Information Thread - Know the Laws

Hi

I don't know about the US but here in the UK, a DJ should have a performance licence from PPL. It costs about £80 per year and allows you to publically perform any music so long as you don't alter the music i.e. Your own special mashup which lets face it, shouldn't be done anyway if you were anything of a good DJ lol!

Every good DJ should have a PPL which also covers you for podomatic and soundcloud because they are classed as public performance even though they could be looked at like file sharing.

Cheers

Nige

If USA is anything like Canada, you don't need to have any licence. It's the venue that has to get one. In the great white north it's all covered under SOCAN. In the USA it should be ASCAP, but I never studied American laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    Did someone mention hookers?
    Quote Originally Posted by RDRCK View Post
    am not brony.

Well in the UK its different. You need PPL licence if you have a radio on in the workplace that might be heard by one or more employees even though a radio broadcast is a free service?

Its a UK way of extortion lol

Nige

That's no different for my work. They have a SOCAN licence for the same reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    Did someone mention hookers?
    Quote Originally Posted by RDRCK View Post
    am not brony.

In Finland you off course need license for public perform and usually this is club owners job, BUT if you use any digital source (computer, usb thumbstick..) or you just use burned cd that contains songs from your orginal disc, you have to pay extra for those. For example if i keep under 900 songs with me that are some way copyed i have to pay about 350€ for that / year. Also legally downloads i.e. from Beatport are under this shit. But if i play from orginal cd / vinyl it doesn't cost extra. Totally fucked up situation. If i keep one song in my playlist that is buyed from Beatport for 5 years, i have to a pay it 7 times. 1: Beatport 2: Teosto (one copyright company) 3: Gramex (organization for record producers). Teosto takes only one payment, Gramex every year.
    Subject is relevant for me now because i'm thinkin about to start gigin soon.

Badger badger
    For Sale: Rane MP2016+ Expander: http://tinyurl.com/7qfvxsb and Pair of M5gs Technics Hingeless Dustcovers: http://tinyurl.com/c6dm7o2

So I have a question, If a song is purchased say from amazon.com or where ever, can you legally use that song to play as a DJ if you are charging for your services? Its my understanding that you can.
    Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rec View Post
    So I have a question, If a song is purchased say from amazon.com or where ever, can you legally use that song to play as a DJ if you are charging for your services? Its my understanding that you can.
    I'm adding onto this question. I'm assuming within the bound of legality, a club would count as a private event allowing you to play the tracks that you purchased for the captive audience? Then the moment you distribute it it's technically game over, ya?
    http://www.soudcloud.com/thewalleh
    http://facebook.com/thewalleh

Nice thread, but a couple questions. Lets say I buy music from amazon, etc and mix songs together. A dance club at my school would like me to DJ at their event. Would my school need a license to play copy righted songs? I assume it would be illegal for me to play it in public since it is not for personal use. So how do you get around to preforming for crowds?

Quote Originally Posted by thehadgi View Post
    Publication
    -Registering within five years gets you prima facie, which I'm not to clear on, but basically it's proof of the facts of your copyright, backed up by the government
    Prima facie means "on it's face." In other words, it is clear to see so it needs no other proof. I don't remember from my IP class how this plays out specifically though. I do remember that once you've filed your copyright, it is very difficult for someone else to come in later and claim they were in fact the legal copyright holder, if it is even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rec View Post
    Yes, it is my understanding that as long as the event you are playing at is private, meaning people don't pay admission, you're okay to play songs you own, or for that matter, songs that the hosts own. But the second a charge is made for entrance like a fee to get into a rave, you need a public performance license which is the responsibility of the club owner or the person who benefits from the admissions... I suppose in the case of a charity, this would actually be the person who assumed the responsibility of organizing the event. example: you hold a benefit for Sandy victims at a warehouse. Jim is the guy who organizes the benefit with proceeds going to the Red Cross. Jim would need the license if I'm not mistaken.

Of course, in reality, I doubt seriously anybody is going to come after someone raising money for hurricane victims. The bad press would be awful. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.