Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Copyright Information Thread - Know the Laws

You can get permission. Contact the publishing company itself, explain what you mean to do, how you intend to do it, your target audience, etc. It wouldn't hurt to email the manager of the artist as well. These are often small companies, who are desperate to push the music out. Anyways, the more businesslike you are, the better. More often than not, they'll be grateful you even bothered to ask, and so will grant your request.

Professional djs/musicians have more weight in the market, and by lending their name to a production they give it credibility. As a result, they are able to get licenses much easier than you or I. Indeed, they often receive other people's work with a note saying, "PLEASE LOVE MAH MUZAK AND PLAY IT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN PUHLEEEEZE!" Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusB View Post
    You can get permission. Contact the publishing company itself, explain what you mean to do, how you intend to do it, your target audience, etc. It wouldn't hurt to email the manager of the artist as well. These are often small companies, who are desperate to push the music out. Anyways, the more businesslike you are, the better. More often than not, they'll be grateful you even bothered to ask, and so will grant your request.

Professional djs/musicians have more weight in the market, and by lending their name to a production they give it credibility. As a result, they are able to get licenses much easier than you or I. Indeed, they often receive other people's work with a note saying, "PLEASE LOVE MAH MUZAK AND PLAY IT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN PUHLEEEEZE!" Or something like that.

Haha that last part was funny but it's the sad truth. Many people will do that I'm sure. Thanks for the information Marcus. Before I get to investing in my own VST software and plug ins and get the Midi board and what not to make my own music, I would be honored and love to get a Artist manager's permission to just make their music known. Like a lot of us I'm sure, we do the music for the sheer love of it and letting people have a great time and let loose. Tha is again for the response Marcus! Spin on, live on.

Thanks so much for this info, I really need it about now.

However, I how am I supposed to get stems or remix licensing "rights" from some of these huge artists?

Quote Originally Posted by Syncera View Post
    Thanks so much for this info, I really need it about now.

However, I how am I supposed to get stems or remix licensing "rights" from some of these huge artists?
    I failed to read.above...

So I have a question and you seem to have the answers... If you have multiple tracks that you want to copyright and you don't have the cash to pay for each track, I was told that you can submit multiple tracks at once as a works or compilation and all tracks would hold copyright protection is this true??

Maybe.
    http://copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-re....html#multiple
    May I register more than one work on the same application? Where do I list the titles?

You may register unpublished works as a collection on one application with one title for the entire collection if certain conditions are met. It is not necessary to list the individual titles in your collection. Published works may only be registered as a collection if they were actually first published as a collection and if other requirements have been met.

So let's say you buy a vocal sample off beatport, I was under the impression that allowed you to use it in an original track, but after reading this would that fall under the ownership doesn't grant copyright or is that fair use? I would think since you pay for it and it is specifically sold as a sample it would be good to use but am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickHughesLive View Post
    So let's say you buy a vocal sample off beatport, I was under the impression that allowed you to use it in an original track, but after reading this would that fall under the ownership doesn't grant copyright or is that fair use? I would think since you pay for it and it is specifically sold as a sample it would be good to use but am I wrong?
    I think you answered your own question there.
    Sampling does not equal original.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I think you answered your own question there.
    Sampling does not equal original.
    So when you pay money to buy a sample that doesn't include the right to use said sample?