Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl DJs - Best needles in your opinion and why

I use Ortofons, mainly because they're easy to attach - never had any problems playing out with them, and nobody's complained about using them as guests, although when I play on Mungo's system, they have Shures (not shure wot shures ) Perhaps Schures are better at coping with extra-vibration...just a guess.

Interesting article. I've ever only known Ortofons but this has got me thinking about trying M477's

I'd like to hear some A/B comparisons between the mentioned models, anyone got both?

Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    That's interesting, to me M44-7s have always sounded worse than most Ortofons although the way they respond to bass can be nice for some tracks.
    +1. I do quite like M35Xs though, and I never had any quality control problems with them. I did find Whitelabels quite unreliable though.

We now use Audio Technica AT95E carts. They are a hi-fi cart so they sound great, and the tracking is good enough for mixing.
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

I keep a set of M44-7's in my bag for any gigs with TTs. But I have a set of Stanton ST.150's that I use to spin at home, and I'm still using the Stanton 520V3 H4 carts that came with the tables... Not really feeling those, as far as sound quality though...
    mixcloud.com/mixxed

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Enstrom View Post
    I'd like to hear some A/B comparisons between the mentioned models, anyone got both?
    I've got both M477 and Pro S with about equal wear & tear, I'll try to do a side by side comparison this week. I prefer the Ortofons look cleaner too me and I don't have to deal with a headshell. I honestly don't know about sound quality between the two. It's a shame Stanton doesn't make the Trackmaster II anymore, really liked that cart, I might throw that in on the comparisons too.

Never thought of the M44-7s as having amazing sound reproduction, have always preferred Ortofons (especially the night clubs). I've always seens the M44-7 as a very sturdy and reliable cartridge with good sound reproduction.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

My vote goes to m447, I just switched from Ortofon Gold Concorde and the shure way better, I like the feeling of them. I also used shure sc3s, not bad either, could be an alternative.
    The gold are way too expensive and not worth it in my opinion.
    THIS IS AWESOME!

I prefer the Ortofons look cleaner too me and I don't have to deal with a headshell.
    +1 to this

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    I use Ortofons, mainly because they're easy to attach - never had any problems playing out with them, and nobody's complained about using them as guests, although when I play on Mungo's system, they have Shures (not shure wot shures ) Perhaps Schures are better at coping with extra-vibration...just a guess.
    I once played a vinyl set on a ridiculous system that incorporated several of Mungo's subs and also some Funktion 1, I can tell you my Ortofons were skipping like motherfuckers...

Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    I once played a vinyl set on a ridiculous system that incorporated several of Mungo's subs and also some Funktion 1, I can tell you my Ortofons were skipping like motherfuckers...
    Sounds like it had a lot more to do with the entire set-up than with the cartridges (i.e. proper isolation for the TTs).
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1