Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl DJs - Best needles in your opinion and why

Some good info here guys, thanks. Keep it coming!

Looks like a toss up between:

Ortofon Pro-s / DJ-S
    Shure Whitelabel
    Shure M44-7 / M44g

Unfortunately Juno aren't stocking Shure right now, though they reckon they'll get some in over the next few months... I also spoke to Shure UK about why Chemical Records don't stock their brand any longer and they advise that Chemical have gone into administration (!)

Given all this plus whats been said here reckon I'm heading toward the Ortofon DJs over the Whitelabels now

As for the Ortofon nightclub, they look sweet and sure they sound amazing, but I simply don't have the cash for those badboys!
    Last edited by Mahatma Coat; 10-16-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

i did a lot of research on this not too long ago. read tons of posts on it in places like wave music, professional reviews, etc. and the conclusion i came to was you can either have good tracking and good wear or good sound, not both. also higher output volume is not always a good thing. i started doing the research because i had been using the 44-7s with a new piece of kit and they were distorting the input regularly. and they don't sound very good. if you're using DVS then 44-7s are basically the best out there. they track like crazy and are very durable but if you're playing anything with detail sound or lush midrange freq. they're pretty shit. i wound up going with the ortofon scratch OM because they are a nice balance between sound quality and tracking ability with a reasonable output. i was also looking at the shure N35X.

the other thing i learned was that there is zero consensus on phono cartridges and they're basically made with magic and unicorn tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Coat View Post
    Hadn't considered Shure 44gs, are they not more for a scratch DJ though?
    No they aren't. They more like a all around carts. Here is nice comparison with 44-7's:
    http://www.djworx.com/skratchworx/reviews/447vs44g.php

The Pro S looks interesting, but the tracking is supposed to be set at 4grams, which seems heavy to me. Do they rip the shit out of your vinyl?

Hadn't considered Shure 44gs, are they not more for a scratch DJ though?

Cheers for the replies!
    I set mine to 2.75 grams (the literature I have read suggests between 2.5 and 3.5 grams).

I have a pair of Nightclub mk 2 carts and I use the NC mk 2 elliptical stylii with them. I love em. they have great mids response, great for vocals/disco stuff
    Find it. Keep it. Work it. Share it.
    Less Talking. More Dancing.
    Yeah, I were Burger Daddy in V 1.0

I'm also running a new night and I'm booking professional DJs, who ask for 'club standard/professional equipment', and as I never see Numarks on club Technics I figure I better upgrade rather than run the risk of a professional DJ temper tantrum.
    Wait; do pro DJs not bring their own needles anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Delta V View Post
    Wait; do pro DJs not bring their own needles anymore?
    That's what I was thinking. If you're touring and use tables, I'd assume you'd have your own pair of carts (with backups too). Probably the DVS box and control vinyl with you too.

Mahatma, are the DJs you're booking using a DVS? I'd go with 44-7s if you can get your hands on them. I've been using them for 3 years and haven't had to replace the stylus too often. But, I'm not a scratch DJ by any means.

Well the guy I've booked (Gerry Read) has asked for professional needles, but maybe this is just due to his booking agent, as that's the only person I've had direct contact with so far, it was part of the contract. You're right though as far as I'm concerned, I would expect a professional DJ to bring/use their own favoured brand; but better to be safe than sorry I guess, so want to have some quality carts/stylus on hand if needs be.

Gerry uses Technics with real records & DVS, CDJs and a laptop, so he could be using anything and everything at the end of the day.

Was also going to do a write up of the whole process involved in organising a night in Amsterdam, but that's for another thread, as soon as I get some time!

Cheers for all the replies though people, its appreciated!
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

Well the guy I've booked (Gerry Read) has asked for professional needles, but maybe this is just due to his booking agent, as that's the only person I've had direct contact with so far, it was part of the contract. You're right though as far as I'm concerned, I would expect a professional DJ to bring/use their own favoured brand; but better to be safe than sorry I guess, so want to have some quality carts/stylus on hand if needs be.
    That's being a good promotor. Better safe than sorry is right. You can always contact his agent again and say you'd provide some 44-7s (or whatever), unless Read has a different preference.

Gerry uses Technics with real records & DVS, CDJs and a laptop, so he could be using anything and everything at the end of the day.
    Based on what I saw in his Boiler Room set this past August, he was using a controller of some kind. I didn't see any records on the decks or him using the CDJs. Maybe that was just for the Boiler Room, though.

Was also going to do a write up of the whole process involved in organising a night in Amsterdam, but that's for another thread, as soon as I get some time!

Cheers for all the replies though people, its appreciated!
    I'll definitely be checking that out.

Another vote for the Shure M44-7s

Quote Originally Posted by Ocie View Post
    Based on what I saw in his Boiler Room set this past August, he was using a controller of some kind. I didn't see any records on the decks or him using the CDJs. Maybe that was just for the Boiler Room, though.
    I saw that too, its a great set; apparently though he was mainly just showcasing unreleased work so worked directly with his files via the controller.

To be perfectly honest I have no idea what the guy is going to do, I'm taking him to dinner before the evening begins along with the other resident DJs, so he can tell us his idea for the night then, we'll all fit round him, we can adapt. We have all the equipment he's asked for anyway, so all bases covered; Gerry knows the concept of the evening so he's aware of our angle, though to be honest as long as he makes people dance he could play the flute for all I care!

Will get a write up done over the next week or so!

Soundcloud sounds