Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl DJs - Best needles in your opinion and why

Vinyl DJs - Best needles in your opinion and why

I'm on the market for some new carts & needles.

I currently use Numark CS1s: they track well, the sound is pretty good and they're durable. They're also reasonably priced.

I'm changing brand because I'm getting more gigs and I sometimes have problems with the tonearm connection of the 1210 and the Numark cartridge, seems the Numark connection isn't long enough. I think this is because most people use Ortofon's and these push the connection in the tonearm back a little, anyway I digress.

I'm also running a new night and I'm booking professional DJs, who ask for 'club standard/professional equipment', and as I never see Numarks on club Technics I figure I better upgrade rather than run the risk of a professional DJ temper tantrum.

I'm currently looking at Shure Whitelabels Vs. Ortofone DJ S - all around purpose (the blue ones).

I'm finding a lot of contrasting information on the internet regarding sound quality, tracking, durability and how much Ortofon's rip into your vinyl, so I thought I'd come to the professionals and ask you guys/gals

So, please tell me what cartridge/needle set up do you use and why? Any tips for me please?

I spin mostly house & techno, though also drum & bass and some hiphop. I don't currently scratch, though I would like to incorporate some scratches into my sets as soon as can learn, so I guess a needle that allows you to scratch with a bit without shredding my precious vinyl to bits would also be useful.

Thanks for you advice/info/knowledge!

MHC
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

I've only ever bought Ortofon Pro S. They are reasonably priced and good quality. Not the best on the market, but it's a cart you can't really go wrong with buying.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

I have Shure 44g's. Great sound and good tracking. Only downside is that they need to be settled pretty accurate. Too much weight and they start to jump.

The Pro S looks interesting, but the tracking is supposed to be set at 4grams, which seems heavy to me. Do they rip the shit out of your vinyl?

Hadn't considered Shure 44gs, are they not more for a scratch DJ though?

Cheers for the replies!
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

I use Shure M44-7s. My 1210 came with one and I have since also upgraded one of my Vestax to one. I am not a scratch DJ (most of my vinyl is classic trance / hardhouse / house) but I've just found them leagues ahead of carts I've previously used. I'm well aware of their reputation for wearing out vinyl but as I'm not using vinyl day-in-day-out this hasn't been an issue for me.

They track brilliantly, never jump, and sound superb. Perhaps not the cheapest, but then I'm not replacing them that often.

I can imagine however if you are using control vinyl for DVS where they will be repeatedly playing the same piece of vinyl over & over then wear could be an issue.
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Sc2900, Dn-x1600, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Technics 1210, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, Gemini SA600mk2, Stanton SK6, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques!).

I also use the Ortofons Pro S, great sound quality and price. They also won't skip for light scratching. I was a bit shocked at the vertical tracking force of 4 too, but from my understanding is that it's a wider needle and doesn't damage your records. You can get away with 3.5 even for scratching if it concerns you.

I have:

M44-7s
    Whitelabels
    Ortofon Nightclubs

The sound on the 44-7s doesn't compare to the other 2, IMO. As for tearing up the vinyl, you can always pick a spherical stylus to help reduce the wear.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    I have:

M44-7s
    Whitelabels
    Ortofon Nightclubs

The sound on the 44-7s doesn't compare to the other 2, IMO. As for tearing up the vinyl, you can always pick a spherical stylus to help reduce the wear.
    Same...plus some really old stanton 500 AL's and 680's from my early years... nothing is as good as the ortifons. Even the whitelabels are not as loud/full, skip easier, etc.

I use these

Expensive? yes, but worth it.
    They are louder than the pro too.

I'm not a scratch DJ, so take this for what its worth. I use the Shure Whitelabels and the M44-7. They are inexpensive and they track well.