View Poll Results: What changes would you like to see with the Trance Tournament 2014?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Previous winners should be seeded and placed in separate groups

0 0%
  • The draw should be totally random.

3 75.00%
  • 1st round match up is a three way battle with the best two moving to the next round.

2 50.00%
  • Consolation Battles - Eliminated contestants can re-enter for walk overs/AWOLs

1 25.00%
  • DQ for participants that fail to vote in other battles

2 50.00%
  • No changes, I love it the way it is.

0 0%
  • Group Suggestion Option 7 - Something not considered as of yet...

1 25.00%
  • Group Suggestion Option 8 - Something not considered as of yet...

0 0%
  • Group Suggestion Option 9 - Something not considered as of yet...

0 0%
  • Group Suggestion Option 10 - Something not considered as of yet...

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trance Tournament Battle Ideas

Trance Tournament Battle Ideas

Hey everyone,
    I'm aware that we are in the middle of the DJF Trance Tournament at the moment and we could let the dust settle before thinking about the next one. However I have a couple of comments and ideas regarding the current tourney and future ones as well. Firstly I must say that it has been a very enjoyable experience for me already, having been the first one I've ever entered. There are many positives to come out of something like this, such as getting to know other users with a common interest in music, learning and improving skills and bench marking against some of the real accomplished guys in the group.

I like the format as a whole, but I do have some questions and ideas regarding future tourneys....

I know that guys can randomly battle each other whenever they choose, but is 1 tournament per year enough. Do our own commitments not allow more than one per year eg. twice a year or one for each season. I'm not suggesting more, I'm only inquiring why there is only one.

I am interested in hosting one in future, but is there a lot to manage? Does it take a lot of time? Are there others out there that help out the tournament host?

Enough questions, I have some ideas and observations to put forward...

Before any comments I'm about to make, I really want to be clear that my intentions are not to rubbish current or previous tournament hosts. I really respect the fact that guys like ChrisHynds and JackStalk make the time and effort to put these things together. I have "fresh eyes" and I feel that it is important to put these things forward while they are still fresh in my mind.

NON VOTING:This has been the stand out issue for me as newcomer, personally the whole thing is so exciting for me that I can't wait to check out other people's work and make a concerted effort to rationally and logically work out who has a better mix. I'm sure that those who do vote would agree that analyzing someone else's mix actually allows yourself to learn something as well. I've spoken to a couple of people about the issue and they have told me of a penalty system whereby users who don't vote incur a penalty for each battle they don't vote in. Well if you happen to be in a landslide loss and you couldn't be bothered to vote, penalties won't change your mind. You will only venture into negative figures, which is pointless really. I'm of the opinion of barring such participants for the following tournament, unless they were to actively vote in individual battles they are not part of. If they did demonstrate a genuine interest in other user's battles then they would have earned the right to participate in another comp. Additionally I really think that even if someone is knocked out, they should still be expected to vote and perhaps a non vote suspension should be considered.

NO SHOWS It was disappointing to see that quite a lot of us didn't submit a mix by the due date, we all live busy lives and I don't intend on judging folk on no shows. The only solution in my mind is 1st and 2nd round consolation entries, where users can get a second crack if we don't get the numbers.

LOPSIDED BATTLES:What I have witnessed so far is that the first round has been an unfortunate place for many users and for different reasons. Some instances have two very strong mixes against each other and unfortunately someone has to lose, yet they had much more to offer the comp. Another situation is where someone with a decent mix is blown away by a weapon in the first round, yes the loser learns something, but wouldn't it be better for that guy to scrape though that battle against a similar opponent. They then can learn from the critique of that round and carry it through to the second round and who knows what happens then. Let's be honest, ideally you want rookies and decent dj's honing their skills and improving from round to round. We also want to see the big guns meeting towards the end of the tournament (round 3 and 4). i'm sure they will be mixing into some good form and it makes excellent listening for the rest of us who didn't get that far.

So what I'm suggesting is that the top four entrants are decided from previous comps primarily and reputation if required. These big guns are kept separate from each other until the business end of the comp and are given a 1st round bye, while the rest of us mix and fight our way into the second round and take our chances. Users (That have actively voted) that have been knocked out in the first or second round should be eligible to get a second chance draw with withdrawals or abandoned battles. I believe by providing the bye, it allows the remainder of entrants to have a potentially more balanced first round, but still providing opportunity for dark horses and upsets to occur later in the tournament.

Well that is pretty much it, I hope this allows others to have a think about the tournament format and I look forward to the responses.

Cheers Guys and thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post (pretend it's an Aussie flag)
    Last edited by Vernski; 10-15-2013 at 01:25 AM.
    DJ Forum Trance Champion 2013/2014
    Retired

Man Vernski, you sure do like to nit pick and call everything out.

If I face you in round 2 you better be ready sir.....and don't cry when I beat you.

I kiiiiiid, I kiiiiiid.

Proposed future tournament format...

My first table was retarded

See below,

Here's a pretend draw, please don't be offended by my crystal ball

The top four guys skip the first round and the rest battle it out.....
    Last edited by Vernski; 10-15-2013 at 02:29 AM.
    Retired

ROUND 1 User 1 ROUND 2 #1 Ignotus (Bye) SEMI FINAL FINAL DJ FORUM TRANCE CHAMPION
    User 2 User 1 Ignotus
    User 3 #3 ChrisHynds (Bye) User 3 (Sorry Mate ) Ignotus
    User 4 User 3
    User 5 User 5 JackStalk (Revenge)
    User 6 #4 JackStalk (Bye) JackStalk JackStalk
    User 7 User 8 Sedna
    User 8 #2 Sedna (Bye)
    Last edited by Vernski; 10-15-2013 at 05:56 AM.
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by tekno_violet View Post
    Man Vernski, you sure do like to nit pick and call everything out.

If I face you in round 2 you better be ready sir.....and don't cry when I beat you.

I kiiiiiid, I kiiiiiid.
    Ha ha, I reckon I'll cry if I win too.....
    Retired

In light of the recent issues concerning the voting process voiced by a few of us, I have a few thoughts on this....

#1. Whoever is hosting the tournament should send a blanket Private Message to all contestants reminding them that voting closes in x amount of days. This way everyone will be equally informed and avoiding any confusion or missed voting.

#2. All contestants that vote less than 75% of all battles are disqualified and banned from the following tournament (Too Harsh??)

#3. If someone can't vote for some reason e.g. Gone to live in an Amish community or going camping for 2 weeks, they need to inform the Tournament host in order to avoid any penalties.

With regards to a standardised voting structure, we would all have to agree on the criteria. As far as I know it is set programming and technical execution that should govern how we all should vote.

You guys might do something similar, but here is the way I worked out the voting in the previous round for a 30 minute mix. I assumed that there would be 6 transitions on average for such a mix....

Transition 1: 1 point
    Transition 2: 1 point
    Transition 3: 1 point
    Transition 4: 1 point
    Transition 5: 1 point
    Transition 6: 1 point

Programming: 2 points
    Overall Execution: 2 points
    Possible Score of 10 points

I just dug up my notes from the last round for this battle------------>http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...s-DJ-Difficult

Here's how I scored it at home....

Mix 2

Transition 1: 0 - 6:37 (slight hiccup and at 7:00 transition was a bit messy)
    Transition 2: 1 - 11:00 (all good)
    Transition 3: 1 - 15:00 (all good)
    Transition 4: 0.5 - 16:20 (Transition too short, could have extended it some more)
    Transition 5: 0.5 - 23:00 ( Ok but could be better)
    Transition 6: 0.5 - 29:00 (Some leftovers from the previous track, could have masked it a little more)

Programming: 2
    Overall Execution: 1.5
    TOTAL SCORE: 7/10

Mix 1

Transition 1: 0.5 - 7:00 (Beat matching out a bit)
    Transition 2: 0.5 - 13:10 (Sound levels out)
    Transition 3: 1 - (All good)
    Transition 4: 0.5 - (Sorry no notes here)
    Transition 5: 1 - (All good)
    Transition 6: 1 - (All good)

Programming: 1
    Overall Execution: 1
    TOTAL SCORE: 6.5

I'll leave it there for now.......
    Retired

^^^ I'm with stupid ^^^
    DJF TRANCE CHAMPION 2011
    DEEPER SHADES OF TRANCE - BRINGING YOU THE BIGGEST NAMES IN TRANCE WEEKLY VIA TRANCERADIO.FM

The real problem is getting a bunch of people who are passionate about trance and dedicated enough to participate in a tournament. There's like 10 of us on the whole forum that really enjoy the tournament and we always push for an extra 6 people to make 16. It's a for-fun thing too, so without having something to win, people aren't really inclined to abide by strict rules or hasty deadlines. I rarely record actual mixes anymore (other than the weekly podcast), after I've been in the game for years I value a live set more than a single structured hour.

I'd love to participate but I'm nowhere near as good as you guys

Quote Originally Posted by JackStalk View Post
    The real problem is getting a bunch of people who are passionate about trance and dedicated enough to participate in a tournament. There's like 10 of us on the whole forum that really enjoy the tournament and we always push for an extra 6 people to make 16. It's a for-fun thing too, so without having something to win, people aren't really inclined to abide by strict rules or hasty deadlines. I rarely record actual mixes anymore (other than the weekly podcast), after I've been in the game for years I value a live set more than a single structured hour.
    Fair enough,

If that's the case, maybe we should make It a Little more exclusive and make a round robin format. 2 groups, a few battles each, group champs battle out a final. Less entrants but everyone is devoted to the comp.

There's a few pluses to this format, a couple of upsets won't matter so much as it's not a knockout comp. It also gives greener dj's a chance to square off against some level competition as well as stronger match ups without being knocked out immediately.

It could also be possible not to set a cracking pace with submissions and voting. A little more relaxed pace to it, giving us all a bit of breathing space throughout the year...
    Last edited by Vernski; 11-15-2013 at 06:43 PM.
    Retired