Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: First gig..not what I expected..kids dance advice needed!

Post a list of equipment you bought.
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

You are doing your first ever gig this Saturday, on your own and with a "bought" music collection that stops in 2005 - 8 years ago?

How have you got the balls to risk ruining somebody's party?

I believe you are a photographer turned "DJ".

This is one of your posts in a completely different thread...

Quote Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
    I understand 'you get what you pay for' but when you hire a pro - be that a DJ or a furnace repair guy - you expect your 'problem' to be solved.

As in, isn't there a level of 'professionalism' and 'ability' that goes with offering your services professionally?

You may expect more from a $1200 Dj than a $150 one but isn't there an expectation of some kind at any price point?

I guess my question is, what IS that point? How 'bad' can you be and still 'get away with' charging? Or perhaps that could be rephrased to 'when are you ready to charge money?'
    Let me answer the last question for you, you are not ready to charge money.

Don't screw up somebody's party, you are a rank amateur who is clearly nowhere near ready to do a gig.
    Last Night A BJ Choked My Wife - What did she expect, I was Indeep.

so your not even a DJ, you are a photographer?
    photographers get paid more than DJ's to do weddings, so if you have been to a 100 weddings as a photographer and you are now wanting to DJ, it would mean you have failed as a photographer.
    the fact that you do not have current music tells me that music is not a passion.
    I would say from your posts that you will probably never be ready to DJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Troy View Post
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

I understand where some of you guys are coming from but, I think some of you are being too hard on the OP. I agree, he is probably not ready for the gig, but probably none of us were professionals on our first gig. This apparently is a free gig. Its not that big of a deal. If they want free, then this is what they get. Who here is going to play that free gig for him?

The OP asked for help & he is getting beat up. I agree, that this is not a perfect scenario, but its a free gig for goodness sakes. Give the guy a break. He asked for help. If you can help him, do so. If not, at least be helpful in a constructive, positive manner. Some of you guys are just being negative because you can. We all started somewhere. If not a free girl scout dance, where do you want him to start?

Again, I agree its not a perfect scenario, but at least he is asking for help. He is trying. Good grief! Help a guy out. Give him a hand up, don't kick the guy in the teeth. He's gotta start somewhere.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieland DJ View Post
    Give him a hand up, don't kick the guy in the teeth. He's gotta start somewhere.
    Word.

I know this place can be big on "tough love" at times but this is a bit much on the "tough" part.

I think iammongo's post is about the best advice so far.

Quote Originally Posted by iammongo View Post
    goto schooldancenetwork.com and look at some of their recent top 30 "safe song" lists....that is a good start
    WillieB69

I agree with Dixie.

Op, how much money do you have to spend?

$50 can get you a month of unlimited downloads at zipdj.com they have a shot ton of stuff from the past few years, all genres.

Will the venue have wifi? If so, join a pool, take a day off work (double money loss). Have a amazon or iTunes account and download as needed.

Go to billboard . com, click on hot 100, LISTEN to every song you have time for, cause a lot are too dirty even clean. You don't want to play inappropriate stuff for kids.

Forget about being unprepared, we all have Been there once or twice and learn from it.

Good luck, don't back out

Dixie, the difference to me is most of us started due to a love of music, and didnt just decide to buy outdated music and gear to start a high end business.
    it isnt about this one teen dance that will certainly need newer music, it is about the fact he has been to a hundred weddings and has no clue what current music is popular.
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieland DJ View Post
    This apparently is a free gig. Its not that big of a deal. If they want free, then this is what they get. Who here is going to play that free gig for him?

...its a free gig for goodness sakes.

We all started somewhere. If not a free girl scout dance, where do you want him to start?
    Nice, where in his post does he say it's a free gig?

It may or may not be, we don't know, but it sure as shooting does not say it's a free gig in his post.
    Last Night A BJ Choked My Wife - What did she expect, I was Indeep.

Quote Originally Posted by allensmusic View Post
    Dixie, the difference to me is most of us started due to a love of music, and didnt just decide to buy outdated music and gear to start a high end business.
    it isnt about this one teen dance that will certainly need newer music, it is about the fact he has been to a hundred weddings and has no clue what current music is popular.
    i can agree to a point, but did he say he wanted a "High End Business"? Could be an undercutter, who knows. The point is, if you DJ, you love music, period. How you choose to deal with the business aspect is negotiable.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Boom Bap View Post
    i can agree to a point, but did he say he wanted a "High End Business"? Could be an undercutter, who knows. The point is, if you DJ, you love music, period. How you choose to deal with the business aspect is negotiable.
    no, there are DJ's that do not love music. and they always suck at it.