Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your System

A Driverack is mostly wasted on powered speakers though.. what brand/model speakers did you get a deal on? I love the simplicity of the setups I do now with my powered EV systems, it's usually a single powered sub with a pair of tops and a small table top mixer, no other outboard gear at all and it sounds really good in a wide range of venues.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

I got a pair of mint QSC K10 (only used four times in a clean environment), a pair of speaker stands & a pair of 30' XLR/power combo cables for $600. my plan is to use these for now but then relegate them to monitor duty once I get a pair of EV ETX 12P tops to compliment the pair of EV ETX 15SP subs. At present the K10 are really in need of some EQ tweaking since they sound really dull in the HF & don't stay clean once pushed (still has headroom left since the clip limiter doesn't even twinkle, yet the speakers still get a hint of harshness).
    Last edited by Incognito; 04-29-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    At present the K10 are really in need of some EQ tweaking since they don't stay clean once pushed (still has headroom left since the clip limiter doesn't even twinkle, yet the speakers still get a hint of harshness).
    Yeah I have noticed that with K12's too they have a bit of the old JBL crunch to the sound even at moderate volumes, I don't know if there is anything you can do about that with EQ though. Nice deal all the same, I thought you were gonna say you got an old pair of Mackie SRM450s or something.
    Last edited by conanski; 04-29-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

QSC had got it right the first time around with the QSC HPR 121 tops, those things sounded so smooth & unstrained.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Well you won't have that problem with the ETX speakers, they are the smoothest sounding of the new lines and crossover, limiting, and EQ is all built in so I don't see much use for another driverack. One of the DJs I work with likes to brighten things up with EQ on the mixer.. I'm thinking he has some hearing loss as he was a club DJ, but when I'm using them for live work I just use the Live or Music presets, sounds great to me and never any feedback problems even with the levels pushed right up into the limiters.
    I say use what you got on the QSCs as it will do as good a job as anything.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Well you won't have that problem with the ETX speakers, they are the smoothest sounding of the new lines and crossover, limiting, and EQ is all built in so I don't see much use for another driverack. One of the DJs I work with likes to brighten things up with EQ on the mixer.. I'm thinking he has some hearing loss as he was a club DJ, but when I'm using them for live work I just use the Live or Music presets, sounds great to me and never any feedback problems even with the levels pushed right up into the limiters.
    I say use what you got on the QSCs as it will do as good a job as anything.
    You just had to go & ruin my dreams of a new toy by dropping logic & sense huh??? You're 100% correct. Once I get the EV ETX 12P tops as mains, it would be silly to have a new dedicated processor just for monitor duty. I'll just get by with what I have until I upgrade my mains. Thanks.

I mostly do live work, but here we go:

Main PA is as follows:
    - 18Sound ND1460 on an RCF HF94 horn, getting 300w
    - 2x Faital Pro 10FH520, getting 1000w each
    - Up to 8x Faital Pro 15HP1060 in ported cabinets, tuned just below 40Hz. Each one will produce 121dB with a 40Hz sine tone, which is 6dB more than a QSC KW181 will do. I run all the subs off a Crown MA12000i, which is ample for the job. With all 8 cabinets (four shown above), it'll do around 1500w per 15". With four or less, it'll manage around 2200w per cabinet.

It's enough low end to pack a really solid punch, even when the bass drops low, even outdoors with a few hundred people between you and the stacks. Good fun, so long as the mains supply is up to the job - that big Crown amp can really pull some current if you crank it.

I also have a little PA for small gigs, which is a pair of 6" tops over 3x6" bass modules (they don't go low enough to call them subwoofers).
    Used the little tops here for stage fill for a musical:

Close-up:

Chris

Looks good, what did you base your designs on, had plans or designs you came up with yourself?

Mostly did the designs myself. I had a little help with the subs on another forum - that was a collaboration between me and another designer.

I figured out what I wanted the speakers to do (eg, subs need to hit 40Hz at full power, and be physically as small as possible while still doing that), picked the drivers, built the cabinets and then spent a lot time with a measurement mic getting it all lined up so it sounds good.

I actually use the 6" tops as my home stereo, hooked up to a vintage Akai AM2250.

Chris

Last edited by Turbulent Methods; 06-26-2018 at 04:21 AM.