My New Setup

Pioneer DDJ SX2 (Not Shown)
    EV ZXA5 Tops
    RCF AS-8004

Home Setup
    Pioneer SP-1
    Pioneer DVJ1000
    Rane Empath Mixer
    Technics SL-1200mk2 (For Vinyl Converting)

Very nice all around... Were you biamping those tops?
    I'm running an EV QRX system now.. selling off most of my old EAW system.. which was also awesome.. but the EV's more practical.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    I'm running an EV QRX system now.. selling off most of my old EAW system.. which was also awesome.. but the EV's more practical.
    I just pulled out the old EV QRx brochure & blew the dust off of it about two days ago to reminisce of when I was on the verge of buying a QRx system. I was going to go for a pair of 212/75 for tops & four 218s for subs, for monitors & smaller applications I was going to get a pair of 112/75. That was back when I was back when I had one of my other systems up for sale, I ended up going DIY with the little BFM system I had.

Honestly though I wouldn't mind doing a custom DIY version of the 212/75 with some of the components I still have sitting around, could do a 3 way version using the BMS 2" mid/high compression drivers & B&C lens that I have sitting around & four Neo Faital Pro 12's. The need for such a system isn't there for me any more but the want for such a system is very much still there.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    I just pulled out the old EV QRx brochure & blew the dust off of it about two days ago to reminisce of when I was on the verge of buying a QRx system. I was going to go for a pair of 212/75 for tops & four 218s for subs, for monitors & smaller applications I was going to get a pair of 112/75. That was back when I was back when I had one of my other systems up for sale, I ended up going DIY with the little BFM system I had.

Honestly though I wouldn't mind doing a custom DIY version of the 212/75 with some of the components I still have sitting around, could do a 3 way version using the BMS 2" mid/high compression drivers & B&C lens that I have sitting around & four Neo Faital Pro 12's. The need for such a system isn't there for me any more but the want for such a system is very much still there.
    Haha yea I understand totally..... I have 4 x 212/75's and 4 x 218S's now.. and it's really logically backward how I ended up with them. I've been easing out.. working on a lot less events than I used to.. so I kinda wanted to sell off stuff. I had basically two systems.. the EAW system with 2 LA325 tops and four FR250z's.. and the FR153z's for the rear.. and then I have 4 KF650e's (replaced my old Community horn loaded tops) with 4 x dual-18 custom subs. And piles more stuff that I gathered up over the years.... And the bigger system wasn't getting any use for the last 4 years or so.. sometimes I would take out two of the bigger subs to cover below where the FR250z's start to roll off... Which sounds GREAT. But those don't pack well into a van, so I needed a box truck to bring them out... So I was in a weird place with the whole thing, where I wanted more than the smaller system, but I wasn't bringing out the bigger system.. it was awkward. So basically I'd reached the point where I was just going to sell everything, because it wasn't bringing in enough to justify the time or the space or any additional investment.... Which was tough because there are some gigs I still want to do.. and at least one of those gigs I do every year was outgrowing the smaller system.. but it wasn't worth keeping the bigger system for that one gig. So.... around the time I was deciding this, I saw someone selling the four QRX tops and two of the subs, at a great price.. within driving distance.... The tops needed some work. I figured I could fix them up and easily sell them for what I paid or more if I didn't like them.. so I went for it. Not long after, I got a deal on two more subs. So far I've had it out twice and really like it.. 4 subs and 4 tops, plus the FR153z's, amp rack, monitors, and cable trunk all fit into a van with room to spare. The subs are really a nice size and even though they're only rated 3Hz deeper than my 250z's.. it's really night and day.. MUCH more output down low. So it's right in the middle for me. So now I'm trying to find a buyer for the KF650e's and the big subs.. and eventually I'll sell the FR250'z.. but I'll probably keep the LA325's because honestly.. they sound better than the QRX's.. so I might want to use them with a pair of the QRX subs. But yea, I'm trying to sell off pretty much all my collected gear and get it down to one system that can kind of cover everything.. that's not taking up so much space in the house... And I'm working it out financially so that between the gigs I'm doing with it this year and the money recovered from the gear I sell.. I'll be cash positive.. and I can just hold on to this system indefinitely with no guilt if I don't rent it out.. I can just use it when I want....

That's the story.

But yea, so far as what you were saying about building... when I was repairing these, I had a great talk with a support guy from EV who basically listed off several EV driver models that are pretty much the same driver.. The DH1, DH7 (what these have), the ND6.. basically, saying that they do sound different.. the DH7 is an improved DH1.. but I needed a whole new driver for one box.. and he was saying kinda like "well honestly, the DH1 is what was originally used in the QRX.. and sure the DH7 sounds better, but it's just an improvement on the DH1 not a whole different driver.. and you probably won't notice the difference if one box had a DH1.. so just go on ebay and buy yourself a DH1".... Well.. it turns out that used DH1's are pretty cheap. And older EV horns that go well with them are as well... So that ignited my imagination a little bit A relacement DH7 was $450! But in the end I did buy one, because time was tight for my first gig with them.. and that first gig got me the second gig.. so yea, I didn't want to start off compromising... But def the used DH1's are a good deal.

I

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Yes the TMS-1 Is a VERY compact 3way box so I had 1 E25 for the low-mid & The other E25 for the Tweeter & High-Mid Phase plug which was separated but a passive network

Cool yea bet that sounded great But your new system is really nice too.

Yeah, I'm loving the new system for portability and way more mobile DJ friendly, Only concern is the ZXA5 with the no internal limiter but I think I have a way around that but gonna do some more research on the DVX3150 Driver and its Thiele/Small parameters specs

Did a little up****** on the amp rack and its contents since I last showed my rig. There is now a Mackie FR800 and a QSC RMX850 in there, versus the GTD audio amps I got 2 years ago. Didn't like the way they ran out of gas at gigs on subwoofer duty, so they had to go.
    Been in this CRAZY art since 2003, Deep in the 719!
    Check out BPMPROCOLO online at: www.bpmproductionsofcolorado.com

Last edited by Paris McBryde; 04-20-2018 at 12:26 AM.
    Tech1200s & 1210 pioneer cdj1000, DDJ-sx2,vci-300, serato itch ssl sdj, rane sl1 57 62, RCF-745's qsc k12 jbl-vrx918sp, JBL-VRX932LAP, DriveRack-PA2, Macbook pro+windows 7, Macbook Air Ipad,benQ-mx620st Projector,JBL-VRXhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAQ0GZu_P8