Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Is the end near for CDJ's?

If you built a controller with all the build quality, durability, and versatility of CDJs and a decent mixer, it would be as large as the component system, cost as much, and the only thing left to distinguish it from a CDJ/mixer kit is that you couldn't break it down into 3 units in separate cases. The MixTrackPro and the II version of it, have CD players built in but are more toylike compared to Numark's more robust NS7 which is huge. The NS7 doesn't have CDs, and I don't believe the mixer can operate standalone. It also doesn't have screens on the decks like CDJs, and it is beginning to approach the price of CDJs and mixers.

I don't think the VS7 is super popular because it isn't as versatile as CDJs. As pointed out earlier, the CD functionality isn't that expensive. What costs is the larger, better platters in the case of the higher end CDJs, build quality, and the purpose built screens. That said, I'd love to see a controller that had an HDMI out for external screens and a much more robust display giving the DJ the option of screen size. If that happened, I could see a case become popular that incorporated a screen into the inside of the case top.

EDIT: Re-reading above, I want to make it clear, I don't think the VS7 or NS7 have bad platters. In fact, from what I've seen in person and from what I've heard from others experiences, I think their platters are quite good.
    Last edited by ampnation; 10-23-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Banned
    Technically a thumb drive is a disk. So if you only bring a thumb drive to the booth, you're still jockeying a disk.

Oh, and I'm one of the controller guys that's heading towards CDJs. A controller was an inexpensive way to get back into the game vs trying to find a pair of increasingly-expensive techs and a mixer. I'll end up using some pio decks in HID mode through traktor at home, and then use rekord buddy to sync my traktor cuepoints to record box, and ploop them onto a SD card for travel.

Quote Originally Posted by kick6 View Post
    Technically a thumb drive is a disk. So if you only bring a thumb drive to the booth, you're still jockeying a disk.
    Disks are round. Not sure in what world a thumb drive is a disc or disk. That said, I have no problem calling someone a disc jockey if they play recorded music live even if the music isn't on disc.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.