Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Speaker Advice

Need Speaker Advice

Hey guys I currently have a laptop, DDJ WeGo, and Traktor F1 mixer. What kind of speakers should I get if I want to do House Parties or events with over 100 people? I am looking for good quality, high powered, and less than $500 speakers total cost.

Also since I have your attention now, if you have any idea on how to make the traktor F1 samples play like a musical instrument (drums, piano, saxophone) please let me know.

PS: I was looking at this speaker to purchase. Tell me what you think, it is a 2000 watt setup.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Rockvil...item4611fd2d76

Would I need an amplifier with these powered speakers or not?

Thanks,
    DJ PHO3NX

That speaker is crap. With a $500 budget look at some used speakers off Craigslist. I would go with powered speakers but here is a good deal on a amp. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/msg/4089469413.html
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

Used B-52 Matrix, used Mackie SRM450's ... A 100 drunk people can make a ton of racket.

Quote Originally Posted by prozilla View Post
    I want to do House Parties or events with over 100 people? I am looking for good quality, high powered, and less than $500 speakers total cost.
    What you want doesn't exist for less than $500 new, you will have to buy used speakers and even then your choices are limited.
    Keep in mind that in addition to your speakers, you will need speaker stands and cables, which will be a significant chunk of your low budget.

Looking on craigslist in your area, I see this deal.. two EV S-152 speakers and a Crown Power Base 1 amp
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/msg/4053372971.html

The speakers, tho they are a very old model, are actually VERY good sounding, good amount of bass! I used to own two pairs of those.. I bought mine used from a guy who had bought them used.. used them for years, then sold one pair of them to a friend who throws house parties with them and loves them! The amp is also a very old model but solid. At 180W/channel it is probably plenty of power for what you are doing. But you could also just buy the speakers from that guy and then get the amp that Unknown DJ linked.. it's not as sexy a model but is newer and has a good amount of power.. it is probably a better investment for ya and would work well with the speakers.

I highly recommend the B52 Matrix 1000 v2 for probably a bit more than $500 used with 10" tops and a 15" subwoofer.
    It isn't cream of the crop, but it isn't garbage either. It will suffice barely for 100 people but with more bass than just about any alternative in that price range. You're probably looking at something closer to $650 but with some patience and craigslist shopping, you might find a good deal. As with any used speaker deal, make sure they're demoed for you at a similar volume to what you're be running them at for gigs and listen closely for distortion, fluctuations in levels or other signs there could be problems.

Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Seems like most of the people that ask for speaker advice have really low budgets.

I say spend a little more and get some Ev zlx's

I'd recommend starting with one ZLX-12P for $ 399 and adding a second when you can. Otherwise, you'll simply waste money and have to spend it again real soon.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

Listen to Bill. Buying crap gear is a waste of money.

I agree that the ZLX12's would be a better way to get started (especially for someone who intends to grow their business and add a subwoofer not too far in the future), but by the time you're done, the cost will be easily 50% over budget ($600 for the speakers, plus stands, plus cables, plus tax and/or shipping). The budget is too low, so it SHOULD cost that much.. it's not unreasonable...

BUT I've long since gotten tired of telling people over and over again to spend far more money than they have.
    If someone says they want speaker for $500, I try to find them a good deal for $500.. or less. The S-152 deal I posted isn't as good an investment for future expansion as the ELX's.. they aren't as convenient nor as good looking. But they are under $500, will go louder, sound as good or better, and have more bass.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 10-10-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Hence why I suggested just one ZLX-12P. Within his budget and the first "step" to building a quality and scalable system.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]