Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding lighting to deckstand

Adding lighting to deckstand

Hi,

Below is my current deckstand and although I'm really pleased with how it looks I would like to add a bit of colour to it using some LEDs. The places that I want to light up are the storage spaces underneath and from underneath the CDJ stands.

As I will have vinyl underneath the lighting I don't want to be using anything that is going to create too much heat as I don't want it to cause any damage issues with the vinyl.

How would people suggest going about this?

Cheers

Matt

I would think you can wash the wall behind your setup and get a pretty nice effect, without the light sources being visible. I have had good luck with the Chauvet Color Strip Mini's, they are small-ish. You are looking at about $120 a piece though, plus if you want to go outside of configuring them with dip-switches and internal programs, you will want a cheapo DMX controller ($70 USD or so).

You might want to just try out one, it could be enough. Another option is something like slim par cans, but they would still take up some more space than a strip. The LED's basically generate no heat, I have one just on the floor behind my TV stand in the living room, washing the wall, it's a nice effect.

Of course there are non-dmx just LED's on a strip, like what you can get at IKEA. Not nearly as cool.
    "Oooh look at me.... I wrote the Internet!"

i've used el cheapo ikea LED strips to light up my setup works like a charm though.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarnYourKeep
    name one dj that can replicate richie's drums in a minimal techno way, this coming from a plastikman background...then again i figure trance heads would respond this way they always seek the BUILD UP AND DROP THE BASS BRO

Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

Something like this?

I used three LED strips from eBay, sunk into a groove routed into the bottom of the shelf. It was easy for me because I made the groove as I built it. It might be a bit more tricky on an already assembled expedit. I wouldn't recommend routing an expedit as they're made from cardboard, but if you can live with it, you could just glue the strips to the shelves and drill holes for the wires where required.
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

Forgot to mention, LEDs don't give off any heat (although the power supply does, but that doesn't have to be near the vinyl).
    www.dnbradio.com

I would go with that LED strips from Ikea or Ebay too. And then I would get me this LED sound control: http://www.recordcase.de/en/Zomo+Dec...upply+unit.htm
    to get the LED colors changed to the beat of the Music

Hi thanks for all the replies. That is exactly what I'm looking to do DTR and would also like to attach some LEDs underneath the CDJ stands but not sure if this would be overkill.

As my stand is already made I will have to get done LED strips and stick them onto the stand trying to hide them the best I can. I may have to light it from behind but not sure how much light this give off.

Are yours run off the mains or battery? I was going to use mains as I'll locate the power supply underneath the stand away from the vinyl.

Good to know no heat is given off. I was more worried about the vinyl getting damaged so has put my mind at rest.

Nice idea on the sound control will look into that.

I'm guessing something like this will do the trick.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00202324/

Quote Originally Posted by webba23 View Post
    Are yours run off the mains or battery? I was going to use mains as I'll locate the power supply underneath the stand away from the vinyl.
    Mine run off the mains using a bog standard 12V adapter that plugs into the mains socket.

That ikea thing will probably be fine, but they don't give any useful ifo on their site. Even the 24 page instructions don't say feck all. I hate ikea so much
    www.dnbradio.com