Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lol, this be why sync and noobs shouldn't mix!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

2. While practicing beatmatching, they would also get better at everything else. That meant that by the time they were competent beatmatchers and ready to start posting mixes up, they were also pretty good at the other basic skills - skills that n00bs today constantly fuck up because some of them think that if 2 songs are in sync, that's all you need.
    Basically...
    mixcloud.com/mixxed

From what I've been hearing a lot of, out at various clubs/lounges/bars, "not being able to phrase match" is the new "not being able to beat match."
    mixcloud.com/mixxed

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanee View Post
    And I don't understand how the above wouldn't have happened if they were. But I do not know the Mixmeister, please explain.
    Two things:
    With MixMeister you can do live editing on the fly.
    You can have as many songs on the time-line as far out as you want, several hours even. (The only exception being, you can only have eight songs playing at the same time, since MixMeister is limited to eight tracks.)

So when you add a song & choose the parameters of the transition, you can listen to that transition & fine tune the transition even if it's 5 songs, 10 songs, 50 songs, or 100 songs down the time-line from the song currently playing.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixxed View Post
    Basically...
    Honestly man, sometimes it's like beating your head against a brick wall.

You have these young n00bs who only want to take advice they agree with, lol. If it involves patience and hard work, they don't want to know. Often they will say "you're stuck in the past" or whatever, but the 4 core technical elements of mixing - beatmatching, phrase matching, levels and EQs - are important elements of ALL mixes, so it doesn't matter if you're using a pair of old gramophones or a futuristic controller. Their argument is totally irrelevant. Whether something is done manually or by pushing a button, the end result still has to sound right.

That is one way of looking at it lol.

Maybe I should have admired his balls?
    only if you have a special appreciation for a young set of sweaty balls.

And I don't understand how the above wouldn't have happened if they were. But I do not know the Mixmeister, please explain.
    Yeah, mixmeister should pretty much just be called "SYNC DJ". Although you can adjust your own levels and such, it basically take away from any skill in actual djing.
    If you aint havin fun you aint havin nothin. http://www.facebook.com/fat8ack
    http://soundcloud.com/fat8ack

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

You have these young n00bs who only want to take advice they agree with, lol. If it involves patience and hard work, they don't want to know. Often they will say "you're stuck in the past" or whatever, but the 4 core technical elements of mixing - beatmatching, phrase matching, levels and EQs - are important elements of ALL mixes, so it doesn't matter if you're using a pair of old gramophones or a futuristic controller. Their argument is totally irrelevant. Whether something is done manually or by pushing a button, the end result still has to sound right.
    I recently proved my point to an upstart "DJ" that claim he "knows" how to DJ. I put him in front of actual records and a turntable.

First Excuse: I am not use to this set up
    My answer: Your controller has pitch fader, the TT has pitch fader, the mixer functions the same

Second Excuse: I don't know these tracks
    My Answer: Well lets listen to them then, I will even count out the BPMs for you and write them down

Third Excuse: I like to beat juggle.
    My Answer: [I showed him a youtube video of DJ Cash Money juggling beats] you mean like this??

Guy finally admitted, he did not know how to mix properly aside from looking at a waveform and hitting sync. I told him, that was like building a house with no foundation, make look good, but the first storm or earthquake and its flattened. I then proceeded to mix on the Turntable with records, then moved over to my controller and used software, then back to my turntables using DVS. At the end I said, "See what I mean by foundation?, I can mix on anything you put in front of me, cause I know the basics. Basics of mixing applies regardless what medium you are mixing on even on a DAW"

Quote Originally Posted by fat8ack View Post
    Yeah, mixmeister should pretty much just be called "SYNC DJ". Although you can adjust your own levels and such, it basically take away from any skill in actual djing.
    Levels, effects, EQs, pitch, tempo, cue points & a lot more.

The vast majority of people who have MixMeister Fusion only use about 10% of the program's ability.
    I've fooled around with it some, but I've never added any extra VST plug-ins to it. I've only used the audio effects & editing tools that come built in.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    I recently proved my point to an upstart "DJ" that claim he "knows" how to DJ. I put him in front of actual records and a turntable.

First Excuse: I am not use to this set up
    My answer: Your controller has pitch fader, the TT has pitch fader, the mixer functions the same

Second Excuse: I don't know these tracks
    My Answer: Well lets listen to them then, I will even count out the BPMs for you and write them down

Third Excuse: I like to beat juggle.
    My Answer: [I showed him a youtube video of DJ Cash Money juggling beats] you mean like this??

Guy finally admitted, he did not know how to mix properly aside from looking at a waveform and hitting sync. I told him, that was like building a house with no foundation, make look good, but the first storm or earthquake and its flattened. I then proceeded to mix on the Turntable with records, then moved over to my controller and used software, then back to my turntables using DVS. At the end I said, "See what I mean by foundation?, I can mix on anything you put in front of me, cause I know the basics. Basics of mixing applies regardless what medium you are mixing on even on a DAW"

Great advice though tbh, people really need to listen to those with experience if they are serious about DJing
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

I started with cd's and moved to tt's after about a year. I remember that I literally had to start from scratch (again). But it really payed off. I recently bought my first controller (Pioneer ddj-s1) for my upcoming mobile gigs and I have to say that damm! I didn't touch anything else but vinyl (with & without dvs) in 6 months and now when I mix with my controller it feels so easy. And I've noticed that first thing I do when I start to match beats, I ride the pitch. Definitely the most effective way to do it. Before the time behind vinyl decks I didn't know how to do it.
    What I mean is that playing with vinyl is absolutely the best way to learn the basics. No cdj can ever be better teacher. But still is sooo lot to learn Only under 2 years behind and hopefully many ahead.