Thread: 13" MacBook Pro - Using shared USB Hubs for recording input?

13" MacBook Pro - Using shared USB Hubs for recording input?

Hello again. Last night I discovered that the 1/8" audio in/out port (aka the headphones jack) for my 13" Macbook Pro is NOT an in/out port, but just an out port. Apparently the most recent models no longer have input functionality, despite the specs I was reading when looking at my options for a new computadora. Yet another reason for me to kick myself for purchasing this Mac. But anyway.

I'd like to run the following peripherals out of the only two USB slots and want to make sure it's possible before I add even more wires and plugs to my DJ table--would it be possible for the bottom three to connect using a USB hub? Or would the controller and mouse disrupt the audio input signal and affect the recording quality?

USB slot 1 : --Traktor a6 > CDJ's, Mixer, etc.

USB slot 2 : --Hub >
    >>--mouse
    >>--controller (getting there. Probably the X1)
    >>--USB audio interface so that I can route my mixer's REC OUT sound back in to record sets using audacity.

This shit is getting convoluted in a hurry.

PS- The 13" MBP also has a firewire 800 slot, and so far I haven't seen any worthwhile (and reasonably priced) peripherals that would connect to it.
    Last edited by sirhotpants; 09-02-2013 at 03:24 PM.

I also have a new 13" MBP. I have no idea why Apple decided to leave out the option to turn the headphone jack into a line input. My 2009 MBP has it, and it works fine. But personally, I don't like to use my laptop to record, if I am also using it to DJ. So I use a digital recorder hooked up to the mixer output, or the Controller Output. Either with a Y adapter, or I just hook it up to the booth output. Using a USB audio interface should work as you described, but I have never tried it through a hub. A would imagine a powered hub should work just fine.

Just for clarification, Im assuming youre not using traktor at all?
    If not, couldn't you just record straight from that?

I have This and love it!

Thanks, Pudgey. What do you use the FireStudio Mobile for (beyond recording live mixes, presumably, since that's what I was initially writing about)? $250--whoah. I'd love to be able to use that firewire slot but all the audio interfaces I've seen that work with it are either relatively expensive like this OR they're around the $100 mark and get garbage reviews.

And @recess: Yes I use Traktor, but mix externally and my mixer is not a plug & play. For example, when I use the crossfader on my external mixer it affects the sound coming out of the main speakers (say, playing just the left deck) but does not have any influence on the output of the Traktor software (where I might have both decks going and the internal mixer's crossfader in the middle). Does that make sense?