Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: (Feedback) So I still consider myself a Beginner.(Feedback)

Question (Feedback) So I still consider myself a Beginner.(Feedback)

So I have been DJin since April 2013 and in no way do I consider myself a professional but I certainly do think I have become pretty good at what we all do, aka mixing. Anyways figured I may be able to get some feedback.

Personally in this mix i noticed 3 maybe 4 pretty bad transitions, you tell me?

Please No haters.

HA who am I kidding haters gonna hate anyways hope yall enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/dj-kaveman-1/does-it-blend-3

I couldn't listen to too much of this due to it being utterly horrible music, but I listened to a few mixes, and they weren't very good. Fading out with a filter and slowly fading in another track on a break isn't really a good way to transition two tracks unless you let the sounds of the breaks work together. The other you did a similar thing, but echo'd out the finishing track.

I am going to be honest here, I'd give you 2/10 for this mix. It is in no way good, but the most basic use of the most basic functions (FX) to go from one track to another. My advice would be to leave the FX alone and concentrate on proper beatmixing, concentrate on phrasing and trying to line up the tracks to mix on the point you need to, not just fade from one to another, this will also force you to learn how to use EQ's properly.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

It is not good at all. Keep at it and be a little more humble in your approach. You can tell yourself all day long you are a "good dj", but you have to listen to other people and take their advise; that know what they are doing. You do not seem to want to hear it if someone tells you something you do not like to hear.

And your mixes are never longer than 15-20 min, you should work on mixing for more than an hour at least 45 min.
    Last edited by fat8ack; 08-30-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    If you aint havin fun you aint havin nothin. http://www.facebook.com/fat8ack
    http://soundcloud.com/fat8ack

Banned
    What happens at 45 seconds into this mix? Do you pitch the track way down, or is it supposed to be like that?

I dunno why you're even posting this stuff up man. When you posted up your first mix, which wasn't that long ago, people said to you that you need to put the time in so you can learn the basics and get really solid at those. But since then you've posted up 4 or 5 other mixes, all of which have the same issues. If you're not going to follow the advice of experienced DJs and you're going to add things like "haters gonna hate" to your posts, as if that explains why people are saying your mixes aren't very good (which really isn't the case), then there's nothing anybody on DJF can do to help you.

If you put the practice in, I'm sure one day you'll be good, but there's really no point in posting up a new mix every week or whatever. You have already tainted your name on here to the point where some people are gonna see your mixes in Mix Subs and think "oh, that guy again" and they'll pass them by. You can fix that, but not if you carry on doing what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Kaveman View Post
    Please No haters.

HA who am I kidding haters gonna hate anyways hope yall enjoy.
    Please. No one is hating, especially on someone new to mixing. Giving honest feedback does not = hating. If my mix sucks I want people telling me that before I go out and try and share it with other people. So many people have inflated views on how great they are when they first start out and keeping it real is the most important thing to help you progress.

I'm with Adam, this isn't my style of music but transitions needs work. Focus on the fundamentals; beatmatching, phrasing, etc. Using FX and fade out for a track isn't the way to do your transitions.
    The rest of the world is tired of US interventionism and the US taxpayer is tired of footing the bill for US interventionism. #teamidiot is on the prowl

Banned
    It's been a while since I used an analogy, so here's one, lol: -

Working on the basics = Learning how to bake a really tasty cake.

FX, loops etc. = Adding a bit of icing to make your tasty cake taste a bit better.

Your mix = A cake that tastes bad, but has had loads of icing added to it to try and disguise the bad taste.

People on here don't keep saying to n00bs "you really need to work on the basics and forget all the other stuff for now" for no reason, but there are 4 issues that constantly affect n00bs: -

1. They underestimate how long it takes to get to a decent standard.
    2. They don't have a DJ's ear yet and can't critique their own mixes well.
    3. They want to rush into getting mixes out there, so they can get those all important plays, likes and follows.
    4. Very occasionally, they can be a touch arrogant and deluded, like a singer on X Factor who says "I sound just like Mariah Carey" when they really sound like a cat being put through a mangle.

This is why people keep dishing out the same advice, because when you've got a couple of years experience under your belt, you will listen back to these mixes, cringe, and probably think "what was I thinking when I uploaded these???".

Everything you put out online becomes associated with your name. If a DJ company kept putting out shit products, after they'd put out half a dozen of them you'd think "shit, I'm never buying anything from them - they suck". Well, mixes are products as well in a way and if you keep putting out bad ones, your reputation is affected in a similar way, just on a smaller scale. You want people to see your name and think "his last mix was great, I'm gonna check out this new one" and the only way that is going to happen is if you stop posting for as long as it takes for you to get to a good standard.
    Last edited by Sigma; 08-30-2013 at 10:41 AM.

well it wasnt a trainwreck. and if i didnt know anything about djing and mixing like club sheep. i would say it was ok. but im a dj and this mix can be better with more time and practice. practice practice practice..... i did that everyday for 2 to 3 hrs a day. i even listened to mixes on the radio( 92 ktu latin rascals to show you how long ago i was mixing 80's). i had was vinyl no beat counters i used my foot and a watch to calculate the beats. keep at it we all have an internal clock when it comes to music it will come out with practice. beat matching is amazing when you first hear it in your headphones. understand how music is constructed,intro, verse ,chourus , breakdown.
    Check out baller95 he beat me in a DJF battle, http://www.mixcrate.com/baller95/dj_mixes

Quote Originally Posted by Dj broray View Post
    well it wasnt a trainwreck
    That is only because he didn't actually mix on any beats, it was fade at the breaks, and badly fading too.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Working on the basics = Learning how to bake a really tasty cake.

FX, loops etc. = Adding a bit of icing to make your tasty cake taste a bit better.

Your mix = A cake that tastes bad, but has had loads of icing added to it to try and disguise the bad taste.
    "Without music, life would be a mistake" - Fredrich Nietzsche

I have posted my mixes on here a few times and you guys keep telling me to beatmatch beat match beatmatch yet I dont see how its not beatmatched lol like I dont bring another song in until i hear the the kicks/hats hitting together with my cue'd song and my song that is playing also with the echo fade out ive seen many people do this before maybe mine wasn't the best but telling somene they suck at it doesnt help thats why I come here looking for advice not telling someone they suck that gets them no where but in the corner crying like a baby lol anyways i guess ill keep trying to "beatmatch" because i suck at that